Author Topic: Pt Frank E Jones 20928381  (Read 1047 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Pt Frank E Jones 20928381
« on: Wednesday 13 December 17 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I acquired an old book recently that had two inscriptions on the front pages, both with armed services references.  The second one I have been able to identify as being in the Women's Auxiliary Australian Air Force and is recently deceased, hence the availability of the book.

The first is for Pt Jones whom I cannot identify.  The name and number are as written in the book in purple ink, and there are no hyphens, dashes or spaces between the numbers.

Any help is appreciated, as always.

Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pt Frank E Jones 20928381
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
The eight digit number looks like an Australian number of a private soldier (British were 7 digits in WW2).  This ref (scroll down to table 1) puts it in the range allocated to Citizen Military Force 4th Division.  The link with the WAAAF suggests WW2 certainly.  http://samrainc.org/Pdf/Whats%20In%20a%20Number.pdf

Australian War Memorial may be a next step?  https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/research-at-the-memorial

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, Max.

I have had a read through the numbering system document.  If I have read it correctly, it looks like the number consists of the first two digits being his year of birth, and the next six digits being his army number.

The only flaw I can see is that according to the table, this high a set of numbers containing 928381 weren't allocated.

In spite of that, if he then transferred over to the AIF and was given a new X number then I would be lucky to find it.

Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 17 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Miri I don't think it is an Australian soldier from WW2.  They had a letter at the front of their number indicating the state they were from, ie my dads started with VX, indicating he was in the AIF and from Victoria.  If they served in Australia they only had the state letter, not the X.

Added:  Just had a look at American numbers.  The National Guardsmen who fought during WW2 were given numbers in the 20,000,000 range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_number_(United_States_Army)

So possibly an American soldier.  My parents assured me there were plenty of them over here during WW2.  So I think you may be looking for an American.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 17 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, agree, also a possibility he was an American, there were loads stationed at Royal Park.  How to find him is the trick.

The second holder of the book was a nurse in the WAAAF stationed at No2 RAAF Hospital at the Show Grounds in Ascot Vale, not that far from Royal Park.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Found him!  He was indeed a US soldier from Montana.

He must have meant something to the nurse as she kept the book for seventy odd years.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 December 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Well done mirl.  I had no idea where to look for American soldiers.  Does it say if he survived the war?
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 December 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Well done Nanna 52 for the pointer and mirl for find!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 December 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ww2enlistment.org/index.php?page=directory&rec=2043783

Should have put the link in before.  A good one to remember as it's free.

When looking around for WWII US service records I did come across a page, that I didn't take a note of, that said a vast majority of them were lost in a fire in the 1960's or 1970's, I can't exactly remember which.