Author Topic: Catherine McHugh (nee Summers) bc1813, poss. buried 1892 at Claretuam, Galway  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine McHugh (nee Summers) bc1813, poss. buried 1892 at Claretuam, Galway
« on: Wednesday 13 December 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I am new to researching in Ireland, so would be grateful for advice on finding more about a Catherine McHugh (bc1812) who was buried at Claretuam Cemetery, near Tuam, Galway in March 1892 in Section A, plot 85, memorial ID 169515091 (from Find a Grave).  Where might I find more information about the burial and acquire a death certificate?

According to oral evidence, my Catherine McCue/McHugh (nee Summers bc 1813) and husband James migrated from Belclare, Tuam (Galway) to Pontypridd (Glamorgan) in about 1840.  James, who worked as a Nailer, died in Pontypridd in 1867.  Catherine remained at least until the 1871 census (shown as Macew).  There is a newspaper report about Catherine in 1873 (South Wales Daily News), and possibly another in 1875 (County Observer), both relating to assaults.  But there appears to be no subsequent trace of Catherine in the 1881 census or any remarriage or death in South Wales.

I fear I am forcing the evidence, but perhaps my Catherine returned to Belclare, Galway at some point after 1873 and was buried there in 1892?  Intriguingly a Catherine McHugh makes an appearance at the Galway Petty Sessions on 15 August 1887 on an assault charge (although she and the accuser appear not to have troubled the presiding magistrate by attending the hearing).

Kevin now in Chester

Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McHugh (nee Summers) bc1813, poss. buried 1892 at Claretuam, Galway
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I can’t see a death on Irish Genealogy https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ which would give you a copy certificate free in pdf form.
I notice on the Find a Grave site there is a John McHugh (1800-1899) shown with the same plot details.
Again I can’t see a death for John of that age but there are two deaths for John McHugh   shown in 1899.

The site is free to use but at some point you are asked to sign in.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McHugh (nee Summers) bc1813, poss. buried 1892 at Claretuam, Galway
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the replies.

Unfortunately the other names on the grave do not link with known family members, so it seems that this is not the grave of "my" Catherine McHugh.  It is unlikely that my Catherine would have a headstone, just an entry in a register, perhaps?

I am also grateful for the link to irishgenealogy website.  I shall search for other possible candidates in Ireland, while continuing the search in Wales (and England), always complicated by the many, many spellings of the name McHugh (McCue, McKew, McHue, Maccu, Macew etc).

I would welcome any other suggestions for confirming Catherine's death (as a McHugh), and indeed her baptism (as a Summers).

Kevin
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Lots of Irish Catholic Parish Registers online (free)- here's Tuam Parish-
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1082
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Is Catherine living in Richards Street in 1871 5382/103/49

With her daughter Mary Thompson and granddaughter Elizabeth?

1881 5299/88/27 shows a Thomas family at 95 Richard Street. Is that the same family?

Unfortunately, Catherine isn’t there but I am just checking.

Also I can’t find a marriage for Mary so it may be wrong.

Heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I have seen Mary’s marriage now to John Thompson.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heywood!

Yes Catherine is living with her daughter Mary and grandchild Elizabeth in Richard Street in 1871.  Mary married John Thompson at the Calvary Chapel in Treforest in 1866, but he is missing from the 1871 census.

Thank you for the link to the 1881 census. I do not think the Thomas family is related.  Most often Mary is said to be born in Ireland in about 1834, but seemed to shed a few years around the time of her marriage (bc 1841)!

Grandchild Elizabeth may have married James Morse at Pontypridd in 1887.

Another Mary Thompson turns up in the area in 1891, but she is from Pembrokeshire.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Kevin in Chester

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Where do you have Mary and family in 1881? I now seen another possibility for Mary but want to check.