Author Topic: Edwin James Aldred, merchant marine, pls help restore & date?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edwin James Aldred, merchant marine, pls help restore & date?
« on: Wednesday 13 December 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi This is a photo of my grandfather, Edwin James Aldred, born 1895 in Manchester, UK. He emigrated to Australia in 1914 and worked as a merchant marine on ships travelling between Australian ports. Is it possible to repair this photo and date as close as possible? Thanks so much, Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Online loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin James Aldred, merchant marine, pls help restore & date?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
color one

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
One from me...

Offline tommyfromri

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
my tidy.  , Tommy

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 23:12 GMT (UK) »
A couple from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 17 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Now thems is serious movie-star looks! He reminds me of the star of the early 1960s TV show, “Adventures in Paradise”, about a Korean War vet who bought a boat and sailed the Pacific Ocean getting into all sorts of adventures. Does anyone else remember it?

Deb, I can’t help with a date but he looks about 30 to me, the same age as Gardner McKay when he acted as Adam Troy. I wonder if your grandfather would have looked like this when he smiled:
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 December 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi McGroger,
Yes I remember "Adventures in Paradise".
I was only young and wasnt supposed to watch it so I used to hide behind the couch and watch from underneath it!
Not all the time but I saw quite a few episodes of the show.
It was shown in New Zealand but most Australians I have spoken too never saw it.

And yes Debs Grandfather does look like Gardner McKay.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 December 17 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow, once again you have excelled yourselves!! So happy with these restores. Firstly, can I share these with my cousins and sisters as they are remarkable restores? Loord74, this restore is just beautiful with that subtle touch of colour, thank you so much! I love it. Likewise, all of them. Handy pandy, you have made him look very handsome, very dapper in his uniform, great work, thank you! Tommy, your attention to detail here is lovely; I love the buttons on his suit. You have done him proud! Pat, lovely work, with light and shade, thank you as well! I think I prefer the black and white version you did but the other one is great as it highlights the background that I hadn't even noticed before. McGrogor, you have restored my handsome grandfather very close to the original without all the cuts and spots and damage, as has everyone, thank you so much. Yes, now that you mention it he does look like Gardner McKay in this photo! Funny that you bring this up as McKay is actually my maiden name so Gardner and I may be distantly related (going back to our Scottish/Irish heritage!), not on the Aldred side though; they came from Manchester. Edwin (Ted) was a good looking man in his younger days. Unfortunately I don't have many photos of him when he was younger. My grandmother was pretty too. They made some very good looking children. Rootschatters have very professionally restored some photos of my beautiful mother (Enid McKay nee Aldred). Thank you again!! So happy!  :) :)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 December 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
A late b&w edition: