Author Topic: help reading will  (Read 1174 times)

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: help reading will
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 December 17 00:32 GMT (UK) »
i did my best , my eyes have crossed over now ,, harder than i thought  ::)

in the name of God Amen
I Robert Deane of this parish of Bleadon being SirP of Body but of _____ForF   memory
Thanks go to Almighty god _____ this my last will and of _______ manner. and _____ as follon___    First i bequeath my soul into the hands of almighty god my maker and _________  _____ my body to be buried in the parish Church of Bleadon in _____ of a closed __________ thus of this ______day _____  i give to the church of the parish of Bleadon _____ shillings to buy a flagon for  the corn_____ _______ item I give to the poor of the parrish of Bleadon _____ shillings to be distributed as my wife shall think ______ ______ I give and bequith to my son Nathaniel all that _____ hold estate that I have in ___________ and forty pounds in money to be ____ him when ___ shall ____ for his age of one and ________years?  Item i give to my son _______ one __________  of ________forty ______ of _______ _________ in south ______ ______ by the name of ____________ Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth one _______ of ___________ _______ _____ of _______ by the name of  ____________and thirty pounds in Money to be _____her when ______ of the age of one and forty years. Item i give the _______ ______ my wife now ____with one hundred pounds in money to be ____-  of the _______ of the child at the end of will be there in five  years after my _______ if the child shall ___ before the ______  ____ that from this hundred pounds be dived by equal portions amount my other three children Item I give ____to each of my wives three children four of my ____ _____ all the ___of my goods not given nor bequeathed I give and bequeath to my wife whom i making whole and sole ex________ of this my last Will and testament and i appoint Thomas _______ my brother in ___and Thomas _______ my son in Law to be overseers of this my last will and testement ________give to each of them ten shillings to buy them _____ Robert Deane signed and sealed in there presence of Robert Black _______

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 December 17 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Clip 1

In the Name of God Amen
I Robert deane of the parrish of Bleadon being sick of body but of perfect memory
Thanks bee to Allmighty god doe make this my last will and Testament inmanner
and forme dolloweth First I bequeath my soule unto the hands of Allmighty god
my maker and redeemer Nad my body to bee buried in the parrish Church of Bleadon
in hope of a blessed resurrection thereof at the Last day Item I give to the Church of the
parrish of Bleadon Tenn Shillings to buy a flaggon for the Communion table Item I
give to the poore of the parrish of Bleadon Tenn shillings to bee distributed as my wife
shall think fitt Item I give and bequeath to my Sonne Nathaniell all that Coppy
hold Estate that I have in Lymshawe* and forty poundes in money to bee payd him when
hee shall come to the age of one and twenty yeares Item I give to my Sonne George
one Chattle Lease Conteyning twenty acres of pasture lyeing in South Brent called

* Could be Lymshame

(It was just easier to write the whole thing rather than try and fill in all your gaps - not that you didn't make a good start!)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 December 17 06:27 GMT (UK) »

Clip 2
by the name of Banbehame Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth
one Chattle Lease conteyinge eleaven acres of pasture lyeing in Hutton Called
by the name of Leavermeade and Thirty poundes in money to bee payd her when
Shee comes to the age of one and twenty yeares Item I give to Child which my
wife now goeth with one hundred poundes in money, to bee payd to the Overseers of
the child at the end of five yeares after my decease if the Child Shall live Soe
long And the money to bee put to the best improvement for the childes advantage
And in Case the child shall dye before the tyme aforesayd That then this hundred

Clip 3
poundes bee devided by equall portions amongst my other three Children Item I
give to each of my wives Three children foure of my best Ewes all the rest of my
goodes not given nor bequeathed I give and bequeath to my wife whom I make my
whole and Sole Executrix of this my Last will and Testament And I doe
appointe Thomas Gyllinge my brother in lawe and Thomas Gosse my Sonne in law
To bee Overseers of this my Last will and Testament And I doe give to each of
them Tenn Shillings to buy them Gloves Robert Deane. Signed and Sealed in
the presence of Robert Black Clerke

Offline welshspencer

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 December 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Wow that is amazing fair play .. thank you very much for your time and trouble you have brought it back to life ..

Very interesting to have a peek back to 1654 .. think £100 must of been a lot back then ..

Kind Regards

Russell

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 December 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I've come across a reference quoting the prices of various commodities:
English prices and wages, 1209-1914
 -  Author: Global Price and Income History Group
 -  The datafile: spreadsheet available at GPIH-website - http://gpih.ucdavis.edu/files/England_1209-1914_(Clark).xls

This tells me that a building labourer earned around 5d per day. Ag Labs about a halfpenny less, tradesmen about 7.3 pence, which is around £10 a year.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 December 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
This site gives you relative values of amounts of money for any year.
https://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/