Author Topic: Elizabeth Minear burnt to death St Austell Nov 1828  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Minear burnt to death St Austell Nov 1828
« on: Wednesday 13 December 17 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I would like to verify the death of Elizabeth Minear and her connection to the Ring of Bells Tavern St Austell Nov 1828.
The circumstances may have been reported in the Western Times 13 Dec 1828.Can anyone please oblige with a copy?
I am told that she died after accidently suffering burns.
Might there have been an inquest?

I think she was a daughter of Walter and Olive Robins , bpt St Austell 7 Mar 1764. She married William Minear/Mannear 3 Feb 1790.He died 1822.
It appears several members of the Minear family may have been connect to the Ring of Bells.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Minear burnt to death St Austell Nov 1828
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Transcript from the article you mentioned:

Last week, as Mrs Minear, who was some time since kept the Ring of Bells public-house, at St. Austell, was alone in her room, to which she has been for some time confined by illness, a shawl she wore caught fire in some way unexplained; her cries speedily brought assistance and the flames were extinguished, but the poor woman was so severely burned that she survived the accident but two days.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mirl.
That is it. I don't think she was at the Ring of Bells when the accident occurred but I have evidence that her husband William was innkeeper at Ring of Bells.
The Royal Cornwall Gazette of March 1832 reports his death aged 31 and " of the Ring of Bells Inn".
There must have been two William Minear as this one jnr.
I was hoping that there might have been an inquest also which would help a positive identification .

Many thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
This is obviously not the same Elizabeth Minear, but I thought you might like to add this to your collection - Royal Cornwall Gazette, 29 June 1883:

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you BumbleB.
Very interesting.
Likely to be from a later generation of the Minear family who appear to have been innkeepers in St Austell in the early 1800s.
I am researching my Harry family but noticed a Harry/ Minear connection.The Minear name mangled on numerous records.
I will investigate further.
Henry Harry was one of the original innkeepers at the seven Stars Inn St Austell and later the Bugle Inn.