Author Topic: Married in Essex but living in South Shields - How come?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Married in Essex but living in South Shields - How come?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 December 17 04:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone would like to help me examine the lives of Jane's brothers and sisters, with a view to seeing if any of them came to live in London, and may have been an encouragement for Jane to come down to London?

* Elizabeth Sewell, born Newcastle, Dec quarter 1862. Nothing known after that.

* Joseph Sewell, born 1868 (presumably Newcastle). Married 'Ann', had many kids from 1891 onwards.

* Mary Sewell, born Newcastle, Dec quarter 1869.

* Sarah Sewell, born Newcastle, June quarter 1873.

Parents to all: Joseph Sewell & Ann Marshall

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 December 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
SEWELL, ELIZABETH   MMN. MARSHALL  1862  D 1/4 in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Vol  10B  Page 34
SEWELL, ANN       mmn. MARSHALL  1865  M 1/4 in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Vol  10B  Page 8
SEWELL, JANE       MMN. MARSHALL  1866  J 1/4 in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Vol 10B  Page 27
SEWELL, JOSEPH       MMN. MARSHALL  1867  S 1/4 in NEW CASTLE UPON TYNE  Vol 10B  Page 9
SEWELL, MARY       MMN. MARSHALL  1869  D 1/4 in NEW CASTLE UPON TYNE  Vol 10B  Page 18

1871 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VRMM-Q79

SEWELL, SARAH       MMN MARSHALL  1873  J 1/4 in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Vol 10B  Page 148
SEWELL, WILLIAM  GEORGE     MARSHALL  1879  S 1/4 in SOUTH SHIELDS  Volume 10A  Page 759

1881 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-G9CP

When, where and with whom were these children seen? (all events)

eg Joseph
Marriages Dec 1888   
ERRINGTON    Jane Ann        Newcastle T.    10b   31    
HALL    Joseph        Newcastle T    10b   31    
ROBBIE    Annie        Newcastle T.    10b   31   
SEWELL    Joseph        Newcastle T.    10b   31

SEWELL, ANN  BADENOCH  MMN ROBBIE     1890  J 1/4 in SOUTH SHIELDS  Volume 10A  Page 821
1891 census @ https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WN1Y-RZM

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 December 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
A quick census survey of the siblings of Jane Sewell exposed no connection to London, as far as the data would allow. Backtracking to the generation before - the uncles and aunties - proved inconclusive as any data for them is hard to find.

It occurs to me that it is worth buying a marriage cert for Joseph & Louisa to see if William was a witness to their wedding. If so, and it is a long shot, it would identify William as the closest Coulson relative and show that he was there in 1887, two years before his own wedding.

LAST QUESTION before I mark this topic as closed:

Has there ever been a tradition that the witnesses to a wedding are family members where possible? Witnesses are often parents but if parents are not around, does the duty of witnessing a wedding commonly go to a sibling or are friends just as likely to be witnesses?

-DC

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 December 17 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Has there ever been a tradition that the witnesses to a wedding are family members where possible? Witnesses are often parents but if parents are not around, does the duty of witnessing a wedding commonly go to a sibling or are friends just as likely to be witnesses?

There was never any "rule" or tradition of that nature.  I have numerous marriage certs from the 1800/1900's yet only 5 have a recognisable family member as a witness.

When people marry within or outside their own locality - witnesses can be anybody - related or unrelated.  It's not unusual to see the same witnesses (usually church members) on several marriage entries.   

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carole.

Something new: 
William & Joseph Coulson had another brother named Thomas. His wife claimed to come from Scotland but a closer look shows that she lived with her family in London during the 1880s. This means that Thomas may have followed his brothers down to London between the 1881-1891 censuses  and met his wife there. Her father stayed in London through to his death in 1901, so it does not look as though the family migrated northwards. And I don't imagine many young London girls seeking work in Hebburn in the 1880s.

I have no further ideas for avenues to explore.
I will close this topic tomorrow if there are no further contributions.
Thanks everybody.

-David C