Author Topic: 1939 Electoral Register - date of compilation?  (Read 5823 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Electoral Register - date of compilation?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 December 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan. I thought there must have been a way.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 December 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
yet by 1960 was at Luxborough Lodge, which turns out to be the (former) workhouse!
Nor can I find....her death record

That does seem to be her last appearance, on the 1960 electoral register, in Marylebone.
Thetis Mary Miles - birth registration was Dec qtr 1875, Aston.
Do you have her exact date of birth? It might help with the search in the 1939 Register.

Possible death?
Sep 1960 Marylebone
Ward,  Mary T.
age 84

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 December 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes I saw that death but Mary T Ward is quite a common name, and I don't understand why she would be registered that way round when she was always Thetis before - birth, baptism, censuses 1881-1901, marriage in 1915, electoral registers 1939-60. I suppose the informant might be someone who didn't know her well. I'm kind of hoping GRO death records with middle names might soon extend to 1960!

I don't have her birth date (she's not a very close relative) just Dec quarter, and inconveniently her baptism was not until 1877 in Warwick town. The family lived there most of the time and all her siblings were born and baptised there, but they seemed to have had a short sojourn in Saltley, Birmingham in the mid-1870s: perhaps they preferred to baptise her in her home church - I've seen that quite a few times. She's with her parents and siblings in 1881 and has the expected MMN - Horn(e).

When I started this thread she was just an example of a person with a very unusual name who was known to be alive, born well before 1917, but couldn't be found on the 1939. There are others - the Coathupes of Wallasey for instance - but the London electoral rolls on A***y are particularly good.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
For the information of all who helped (thanks ):

Just to add that I found Thetis M Ward on the 1939 now that Ancestry have it. She's a hotel servant in central London (doesn't specify the Dorchester just an address) married - but gives her YoB as 1886! rather than 1875. I'm sure it's her as there's hardly anyone named Thetis M and the only such marriage of a Ward (Alfred R) to a Thetis is in 1915 (Christchurch district).

I think the age fib is because this Alfred is probably Alfred Rollison Ward born 1886 Warrington. He is almost certainly the Alfred Rawlinson Ward (no such person found) who served WWI (sadly only medal card found so little info) and died 1964  Conway district - because he's found in 1939 working at the Castle Hotel Conway, also married and also on his own. I don't know if they'd separated or were forced to work apart because of hotel regulations.

It's possible that she lied about her age because the hotel might try to fire her if they discovered she was 64? I doubt if she'd have much in the way of a pension. (Though from 1939 anyone willing to work was presumably welcomed.)

They are almost certainly the parents of Jesse Rawlinson Ward born 1916 Christchurch who has been found 1939 with his wife and one redacted in Bristol.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 July 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
She has been indexed as Thetia on Find My Past.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 July 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
She has been indexed as Thetia on Find My Past.

Thanks. I think the reason I didn't find her there is that I must have searched for her with age +/-10 years thinking that would be enough!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 July 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
For the information of all who helped (thanks ):

Just to add that I found Thetis M Ward on the 1939 now that Ancestry have it. She's a hotel servant in central London (doesn't specify the Dorchester just an address)

If you go back a couple of pages to the beginning of the property the description is written above the road name  ;)  Googling the address it seems to have a similar function today
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Rosie