Author Topic: 1939 Electoral Register - date of compilation?  (Read 5832 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
1939 Electoral Register - date of compilation?
« on: Thursday 14 December 17 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know when the 1939 electoral rolls were compiled? Due to a lack of success correlating with anyone on the 1939 register, I assumed it was the one issued in late 1938. However, a thread here:
 groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.britain/Qn0QxkpAGMA
implies that it was issued on Nov 15th 1939 but using a "qualifying date" of 1st June which seems a long gap.

I ask as I was surprised to see that my relative Thetis Mary Ward was registered to vote at the (London) Dorchester Hotel in 1939 yet by 1960 was at Luxborough Lodge, which turns out to be the (former) workhouse! Of course she was probably a hotel servant, since almost everyone there was female. But I can't find her on the pre-war register, which would give her job, birth year and marital status, I've tried everything. Nor can I find her in 1911, or her death record

The presumption is that she is Thetis Mary Miles born 1875 Saltley, Birmingham and found on the 1881 and 1901 (garbled as Thabit on A***y transcription) who is presumably the one who married Alfred R Ward in Christchurch district in 1915 and perhaps had a son there the next year - there simply isn't another Thetis Miles in the country (the USA one is there on the 1940).

Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Electoral Register - date of compilation?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
29th Sept 1939.

See here.........https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register/what-is-the-1939-register

Oops sorry misunderstood your question,thought you meant the 1939 register!  :-[
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
You won't find people on the 1939 National Register unless:
a) They were born more than 100 years ago,    or
b) They were known (to the NHS authorities) to have died,     or
c) FindMyPast have been made aware of the death
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »

I know, and take that into account - but the lady I mentioned was born in 1875!

Anybody with thoughts on my question which was specifically about the 1939 Electoral Roll?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:15 GMT (UK) »
The new electoral register was expected to be compiled and to come into force on October 15th 1939.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
According to the Bristol Evening Post - Tuesday 06 June 1939 the list was to go to the printers on the 15th of June 1939.
The Dover Express - Friday 02 June 1939 states that the forms should have been returned by June 1st 1939.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming you found the entry on Ancestry indexed as
Thetis Mary Ward
Year   1939
County or Borough Westminster
City of Westminster
Dorchester Hotel

The information is entered on page 194  (474 of 850)

I have just scrolled back to page 1 (298 of 850) and it shows
that register was not for 1939 but 1936 (In force 15 October 1936 to 14 October 1937)  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 December 17 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, as ever, Stan.

So the time lapse between last date for inclusion and expected publication wasn't all that long, it was just delayed somewhat, because of the war, I assume.

Thanks for that, Rosie.

I really did see that as 1939 - that's how A****y search gives it. I'll go back and check. Shows you can't be too careful. If that was 1936, she could be absolutely anywhere in 1939

Chris

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 December 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »

There are a few exceptions/Mistakes(?)... One of my Uncles, (Born in 1930) is on there, and he's still very much alive(!)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.