Author Topic: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.  (Read 2627 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 December 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a burial in Dartmouth St Saviour in 1777 of a Rebecca Ebdon aged 74. I think this is likely the Rebecca Harris (widow) . Her being an older lady is possibly why there are no children born to her & John Ebdon.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 December 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a burial in Dartmouth St Saviour in 1777 of a Rebecca Ebdon aged 74. I think this is likely the Rebecca Harris (widow) . Her being an older lady is possibly why there are no children born to her & John Ebdon.

Claire

Thank you,

Well that definitely rules her out as being the mother, of John Ebdon junior.
There was a John Ebdon who was born in 1760 in Salcombe Regis. This is near Sidbury. He was the son of a John and Mary Ebdon. Possibly a son of a John Ebdon who married a Mary Vinch (or Finch), at Plumtree, Devon in 1751. This couple had one or two children baptised a Clyst Hydon, and then some more along with John, baptised in Salcombe Regis, (if they are the same couple) the last one being 1767. I cannot find another marriage in the area between a John Ebdon, and a Mary, between 1751-1767.
Then in 1767, a John Ebdon married another Mary (somebody?) in Sidbury.
I believe that this John Ebdon born 1760 in Salcombe could very well be the father of my John Ebdon junior, born 1788:
There is a burial record in Sidbury, for a John Ebdon in 1828, and his estimated birth year had been put down as 1760.

Cheers.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 February 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Claire
Thanks Claire,
There is also a record of  John Ebdon, being buried at the same church in Dartmouth in 1784, aged 87:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS/DEV/005844065/00061&parentid=GBPRS/DEV/BUR/214479

A John Ebdon married an Ann Baker in Dartmouth in 1720. She was probably buried at Dartmouth St. Saviour in 1741. It says "wife of John Ebdon" on the burial record:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fdev%2f005844064%2f00108&parentid=gbprs%2fdev%2fbur%2f212919

:) ;)