Author Topic: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.  (Read 266 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 December 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a burial in Dartmouth St Saviour in 1777 of a Rebecca Ebdon aged 74. I think this is likely the Rebecca Harris (widow) . Her being an older lady is possibly why there are no children born to her & John Ebdon.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Parents Of John Ebdon junior, born 4th of July 1788, in Sidbury.
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 December 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a burial in Dartmouth St Saviour in 1777 of a Rebecca Ebdon aged 74. I think this is likely the Rebecca Harris (widow) . Her being an older lady is possibly why there are no children born to her & John Ebdon.

Claire

Thank you,

Well that definitely rules her out as being the mother, of John Ebdon junior.
There was a John Ebdon who was born in 1760 in Salcombe Regis. This is near Sidbury. He was the son of a John and Mary Ebdon. Possibly a son of a John Ebdon who married a Mary Vinch (or Finch), at Plumtree, Devon in 1751. This couple had one or two children baptised a Clyst Hydon, and then some more along with John, baptised in Salcombe Regis, (if they are the same couple) the last one being 1767. I cannot find another marriage in the area between a John Ebdon, and a Mary, between 1751-1767.
Then in 1767, a John Ebdon married another Mary (somebody?) in Sidbury.
I believe that this John Ebdon born 1760 in Salcombe could very well be the father of my John Ebdon junior, born 1788:
There is a burial record in Sidbury, for a John Ebdon in 1828, and his estimated birth year had been put down as 1760.

Cheers.  :) ;)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.