Author Topic: Transported Convict Query  (Read 979 times)

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Transported Convict Query
« on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have just found out that a four times great uncle was transported from the UK, to Australia in 1842. He was Francis Iley, born 1806 in Yarm, Yorkshire.

I have no idea whether or not he stayed, how long he lived and whether or not he married and had a family. Can anyone help with looking for signs of him? I can't see any death record for him in the UK so assume he didn't come back.

Many thanks,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Transported Convict Query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ev and Shaun for your replies. This is fascinating stuff on an ancestor who was nothing more than a name on a list of offspring and siblings until today!! I didn't even have a definite date of birth for him and now he is a fully rounded-out character!

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen there is an online Tree which seems to be the family you are researching.
Gives Francis Iley born December 1806 Marriage to Elizabeth Simpson Shincliffe County Durham UK 14th May 1838. Son Robert 1839-1854 Son John 1841-1890 Wife Margaret Middlemas 1846-1915. Margaret is on 1901 UK Census living with 6 of her children.
Francis Ileys wife Elizabeth Simpson seems to have had a son Luke Iley (he later changed his name to Rogerson) Born 1851 died 1895 Married Jane Barron in December 1871 under name of Rogerson.
Luke would have been born after Francis was transported no fathers name given on baptism record but possible he was told later in his life.
Parents of Francis Iley were Matthew Iley b. 1762 & Mary Kendrew b. 1760
From this tree it is obvious that Francis family didnt seem to have contact with him after his transportation as his Death is unknown. :)

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have Francis's parents and siblings and other family information but because he disappeared in 1842 and was therefore not on the 1851 census, I didn't have an exact age for him until today. I also had no marriage or offspring so this is all really helpful.

It would appear that his wife married John Rodgerson in 1853 - (I don't know whether his twelve years in Australia meant that Elizabeth was no longer his legal wife, or maybe he was presumed dead.) Luke was obviously the son of this marriage, albeit born before they were married.

Thank you.

Offline Serdiville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Stockton
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi.   I have just come across your 2014 post about the Battle of Stockton.   I'm writing a pamphlet about it for the group who are trying to organise a commemoration of some kind.   Would you be willing to be interviewed about your family's involvement?   Thanks