Author Topic: Still Born.  (Read 2233 times)

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Still Born.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
stanmapstone,  yes I  had seen that date somewhere..   

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
If it was 1907 then it was not a stillbirth. Still births were only registered from 1 July 1927.

Stall
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Lizziew..    sorry typo.. 1907 is date.

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
stanmapstone..   oh, so then maybe there were complications after the birth?

this is what happens when stories get passed down.. it does lead to some confusion,
thanks for your input stanmapstone.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 December 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
The story could be completely untrue  :-\

What does the 1911 census say about children born to marriage of your grandmother
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 December 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be another one - mother nee HOUSEHAM (Doris 1908) - appears as Dorris in 1911.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 December 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I have one in my tree who died aged 1 hour. When scouring burial records once I came across several entries that said things like "less than thirty minutes". I agree that in order to have a birth and death record the child was born alive but the age at death could have been a couple of minutes or as many as three or so months. If the child only lived a short while then as far as many would have been concerned it would have been practically a stillbirth, especially if the story was carried down by, say, an older sibling who wouldn't have been present and would simply have known that the child was born and died without them seeing it.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 December 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
How do you know she was still born? A still born child would not usually have a name, as a still born child could not be baptised.

Stan

Sorry Stan but you do not have to be baptised to have a name.
I have not been baptised but I believe I have a name, though I am sometimes summoned by Oye.

I can also assure you that stillbirths were recorded as far back as 1551 to my knowledge and from reading the Historic Stillbirth register I see that the trend to name stillborns came in around the mid 1950s for those born at home, however this does not mean prior to that stillborns were not named just that no official record of the name was made.

Hospital records tend not to record names of still born babies but many families do name their stillborn babies in spite of this, in fact every family who has contacted me have given their still born baby a name.
It it time hospitals and the registration service recognised the need of families to name their stillborn babies and changed the stillborn certificates to include their name.

It is also time (in fact well overdue) that the stillbirth register is made public as the secrecy surrounding stillborn babies causes lifetime anguish to many mothers.
Yes consideration has to be given in the first few months after the birth but after that the witholding of information adds to the distress.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 December 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Stan but you do not have to be baptised to have a name.
I have not been baptised but I believe I have a name, though I am sometimes summoned by Oye.

I can also assure you that stillbirths were recorded as far back as 1551 to my knowledge and from reading the Historic Stillbirth register I see that the trend to name stillborns came in around the mid 1950s for those born at home, however this does not mean prior to that stillborns were not named just that no official record of the name was made.

I would agree with Guy.
My mother was born in 1931.
Her twin sister was stillborn (I have the certificate), and was known in the family as Margaret.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)