Author Topic: Statutory register for marriage entry years after wedding  (Read 934 times)

Offline aaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Statutory register for marriage entry years after wedding
« on: Friday 15 December 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I've just been reviewing some BMD documents to see if I've missed something and have come across something I've never seen before and wondered if anyone could shed a light on it.

I have a record for an ancestor which records a marriage for Glasgow in 1878 but it appears in the 1911 registry.

The wife died on 17 January 1911 and the death was registered the same day by the step daughter - the 1878 marriage was between a widow and a widower.   The husband had previously died in 1905.

I suspect that what's happened is that a check of the marriage register couldn't find any entry of the marriage.   The other entry on the same page in the marriage register is dated 24 January 1911, so I can only assume that the marriage was entered into the register at that point.   Other than the "191_" being crossed out and "1878" added by hand and initialled, there is no indication of what has happened - I would have expected an RCE, although I suppose technically its not a correction to the register if the register was never updated.  Other than the entry being 33 years "late" it all looks pretty standard.

I wondered if anyone had come across anything like this before.   

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Statutory register for marriage entry years after wedding
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
It's not uncommon for a Marriage date to be included below the parents on a child's birth certificate, but on a death certificate that's unusual, unless the marriage in 1878, didn't happen in Scotland and the family decided to record it.