Author Topic: family history software advice needed  (Read 1429 times)

Offline JennMorgon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
family history software advice needed
« on: Friday 15 December 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
A friend of mine is just beginning family history research and wants a simple, easy to use software for her windows 10 computer.  She has basic computer skills and wants a basic software tree program that will show her basic tree, allow photos and census returns and produce simple charts or reports.   Easy to use is essential and she doesn't mind paying for a commercial package if its suitable for her at novice level.   Any advice please ?
Jenny

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: family history software advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 December 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I've worked in IT for 25+ years, so I might not be best placed to advise on the novice perspective. However, RootsMagic offers a cut-down 'Essentials' version, described as having "friendly screens and menus [to] allow even the most inexperienced computer novice to get up-and running quickly".

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

Best thing is: it's free. Your friend could try it out for a week or two; if she doesn't get on with it, she can export her data into most other packages via the standard GEDCOM file format. If she does like it, she can upgrade to the more fully-featured version (just called RootsMagic) when she's ready.

Standard disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this company, I'm just a happy user. I started off with Personal Ancestral File back in the day, which I liked for its mix of speed and simplicity. Switched to RM when PAF support was discontinued, as it was the most similar package I could find.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline JennMorgon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 December 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Excellent advice.  I have an Apple Mac so use a completely different software.  I will look into Roots Magic with her as she lacks I T confidence thus needing a simple basic package.  I looked at some commercial packages with her last night and they were overwhelming for a beginner.

Thank you again
Jenn

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 December 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Be interesting to hear how you get on. RM isn't what I'd call a simple package, because I'm well aware of its intermediate-to-advanced capabilities. In my head, it's a complex piece of software. But if they're marketing it to inexperienced novices, I'm sure there's a case to be made for that.

Best just to dive in and find out  :)
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham