Author Topic: Does this say N S Pattison and who is s/he? - completed  (Read 483 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Does this say N S Pattison and who is s/he? - completed
« on: Friday 15 December 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
The attached shows H (N? M??) S(?) Pattison as a witness at Margaret Sto(l)ker Pattison's wedding. The signature looks to be of an older or less confident writer, but the first task is to eastbalish what the letters are.

I cannot find anyone with either of those initials linked to the family, although the middle S clearly fits with Margaret's. Her parents were Thomas (about to die) and Jane; and her siblings were Mary, John (and others?).

More information about the family, can be found here (NB I have listed Margaret's mother as Margaret not Jane in one place), but I'm not sure how helpful it will be:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784028.msg6387872#msg6387872
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does this say N S Pattison and who is s/he?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 December 17 17:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if it might be Thos.

The first part, which at first sight looks like 'N' or 'H', isn't exactly typical of those letters, but is fairly similar to the start of Thomas where his name has been written above. (I know it's someone else's writing, but the shape is still similar.)

The 'o' isn't much in question, then there's a superscript letter, which for Thomas would be 's'. The 's' in Pattison has a short upward stroke, then a pronounced downward curl, and the pen would then follow round in a circle to start the next letter. With a longer upward stroke and pressure applied at different points in the curl/circle, I think you might end up with what's seen here.

'Pattison' in this signature looks to be written a bit carefully and shakily in places - I could easily believe it was by someone elderly or infirm.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 December 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
The initial 'S' doesn't look like an 's' to me - looks more like a 'T' and bearing in mind Margaret was a minor and marrying with fathers consent I think it could be 'Mr T Pattison'.   If father Thomas was ailing and died shortly after this could explain the signature.

Also, there was a son Thomas baptised too:

Thomas Pattison bp.7/1/1811 St. Paul, Shadwell, son of Thomas Pattison, Mastr. Mar., and Jane.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does this say N S Pattison and who is s/he? - completed
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 December 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Pattison would make much sense; and I agree with the Thos.

And thanks also for the 1811 baptism. I see Thomas jr became a master marine as well (in 1851).

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 December 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if it might be Thos.

I'd go along with this, all the way.  I presume it is the signature of the parent who has authorised the marriage of the minor.

But do we know if this is an image of the original certificate signed in the vestry, or of the 'fair copy' in the later register?  I have seen many examples where (presumably) the minister imitated all the signatures of the witnesses as best he could.  The styles of writing here don't differ all that much.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young