Author Topic: Berkshire Will  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Will
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate it's disappointing. Many probate indexes and catalogues specify whether a probate document is a will or an administration/inventory/bond etc., but perhaps not the one you consulted :(

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Found some on the national archive that may help.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 December 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
They are huge documents which I have now downloaded far too big to get on here.

Is there some way I might negotiate a price with you all to get these over to you and translated?

:)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 December 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of people here on RootsChat who can help with these kinds of wills.

I suggest you first have a try at reading the one you've posted. Then if you need help, snip it into smaller sections, post them on here together with your transcript, and we'll try to help you fill the gaps. That's usually the way this board works best.

Alternatively, if perhaps you are just ‘fishing’ for connections to known family members, it may be better, as a first step, just to extract the names and the relationships. Depending on the results, you could then decide whether to try transcribing the whole will.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 December 17 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I've read as much as I can with little success in terms of getting words out.   I can read the in the name of god amen bit but either its my eyes or brain but I cannot seem to understand most of the words yet.

Its definitely the 'In The Name of God Amen' bit we are interested in and yes just fishing for names but any other information we can get is also useful in terms of 'understanding' so a full transcription is best.

Att.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 December 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
William 2 & 4

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 December 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
William 3

Sorry if that was inconvenient it was to do with the size of the files.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 December 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I can make out the words Stoner in the middle of it.    We are not so interested in the Stoner bits at the current time.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 December 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I've done the first extract for you. Perhaps this might help you read what follows in the other extracts?

=====

In the name of god amen the Seconde daye of Marche Anno a thousand

fyve hundred Seaventie fyve I William Hildesleye of Crom(ar)sshe gifforde in the Countie of oxon

gent Being weke of bodye but of mynde and memorie hole and perfecte doo make and ordeyne

this my last will and testament in manner and forme fo^r^me followinge First I bequeathe my soule

to almightie god my onelie Maker and Redemo(ur) by whose deathe and passion I hope to be saved and

my bodye to be buried within the parrisshe Churche of Crom(ar)she gifforde aforsaide  Item I will that

all suche Moneye as I have Coven^a^nted w(i)th Hu(m)frey Burdett gent uppon the Marriage of Walter

myne eldest sonne to dorothie his daughter to pay or cause to be paide for the Advanncemente of

the saide Walter w(hi)ch is Fyve hundred poundes and w(hi)ch holie is as yet unpaide shalbe first paide

and dischardged and my Money debtes due to me and Chattells personalls shall first be subiecte & tied

to the payment thereof  And that paide and dischardged then I will the Som(m)es of Moneye

hereafter gyven or bequeathed shalbe paide of my gooddes Som(m)es of moneye and debtes due to me received

and paide that is to say  I gyve to the Mother Churche of oxon Sixe shillinges eighte pence  Item to the

poore people of Crom(ar)sshe and Newneham twentie shillinges  Item to the poor of Wallingforde twentie

Shillinges  Item to the poore of Bensington Tenne Shillinges All w(hi)ch shalbe delivered to the Churche

Wardens of the saide places to be distributed  Item I gyve and bequeathe to Edmu(n)d and Franncis

my sonnes one Hundrethe poundes a pece to be paide to them at their severall dayes of their Mariag(es)

or within three yeares after my decesse at the choise of myne Executo(r)s and in the meane tyme untill

full payment thereof made I bequeathe to eche of them Fyve poundes to be paide yerelie untill the

whole hundreth poundes to hym due shalbe paide  Item I gyve to William my sonne one Hundrethe

poundes to be paide to hym at the daye of his Mariage and in the meane tyme yf he contynue his

studye to have convenient fyndinge for his Maineten^a^nce in the Universitie or in any Inne of Co(ur)te

or [Inne of deleted] Chauncerie  Item I gyve and bequeathe to Katherine my daughter one Hundreth Markes to

be paide to her at the daye of her Mariage  And yf anye of the same Foure Children dye before

their saide porcions receyved Then I will the porcion of the same my Childe so dyinge shalbe

delivered to the Survyvo(ur)s at the saide tyme appointed for the receipte of their other Legacies  Item I

will to Edmonde Willia(m)son my daughter Maries sonne twentie poundes to be paide w(i)thin fyve Yeares

after my deceasse  Item I will and bequeathe to William Bigge fyve poundes unto Walter Bygge

Fyftene poundes and to Thom(a)s Bygge Fyve poundes (whiche three be sonnes to my sonne in lawe Walter

Bygge) to be paide to them when they shall come to thage of one and twentie yeares  Item to Katherine ...