Author Topic: Berkshire Will  (Read 5895 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Will
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 December 17 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Last section of the accounts:

[Itm] for proctors fees & for conceyving this account }
& putting it in wretinge                              }_________________________vjs viijd

Itm for ingrossing this Account______________________________________iijs iijd

Itm for the decree of passing this account______________________________xs

Itm for the quietus est_______________________________________________xs

Sum(m)a tot(alis) vli xis vjd

Itm this Accomptant praieth to be allowed for the

detes following w(hi)ch she hath discharged & p(ai)d

Itm p(ai)d to ffrancis [heliar?/treliar?] of hamshire____________________xxli

Itm p(ai)d to James [Spir?]______________________________________________xxli

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 December 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
You are most kind,

I am in awe actually at how you do it.   You are hard working people I think but also gifted.

JD

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I’ve done the two administration bonds for you, as best I can.

Each bond is in 2 halves – the ‘obligation’ in Latin (+ translation), followed by the ‘condition’ in English.

It’s clear that both men died intestate, so there are no valid wills.

=====
Bond for George Ilsley

[extract George Ilsley 3]
Noverint univ(er)si per p(rese)ntes me Joh(ann)em Palm(er)(?) de Wolhampton in
Com(itatu) Berks smith teneri et firmiter obligari Thome White
legum doctori Archi(diaco)no Berks in Viginti libris bone et legalis
monete Anglie solvend(is) eid(em) Thom(e) White aut suo c(er)to Attorn(ato)
executoribus vel successorib(us) suis Ad qua(m) quide(m) soluc(i)o(n)em b(e)n(e)
et fideliter faciendam obligo me heredes et executores meos fir(-)
miter per p(rese)ntes sigillo meo sigillatas Dat(um) xxvto Die me(n)sis
Junij Anno regni D(om)ine nostre Elizabethe dei gratia Anglie
Francie et Hibernie Regine fidei defensoris &c. Nono: 1567

[translation]
May all men know by these presents that I John Palm(er)(?) of Woolhampton in the county of Berks, smith, am held and firmly bound to Thomas White, Doctor of Laws, Archdeacon of Berkshire, in (the sum of) twenty pounds of good and lawful money of England to be paid to the same Thomas White or to his certain attorney, his executors or successors; for this very payment well and truly to be made, I firmly bind myself (and) my heirs and executors by these presents; sealed with my seal; given the twenty-fifth day of the month of June in the ninth year of the reign of our Lady Elizabeth, by the grace of God Queen of England, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith etc. 1567

[extract George Illsley 2]
The condic(i)on of this obligac(i)on is suche that where thadm(ini)strac(i)on of all &
sing(u)ler the goodd(es) & catalles of george Ilsley late of Brimpton in the cou(n)tie
of Berks deceased intestate is by thauthoritie of the w(i)thin named Arch
Deacon com(m)itted to Margery his wife If the said Margery her executors
and assignes do well & truly administer the goodd(es) of the said george de(-)
ceased and doe pay his dett(es) and legacies if he left any As far
as the said goodd(es) shall extend And do make a trew and per(-)
fecte accompt of the Administrac(i)on in this behalf whensoever she
shall therunto (be) required That then this present obligac(i)on be void
and of none effecte Or els to stand in his full power strength
and virtue

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Bond for John Illesley

[extract John Illesley 5]

Nov(er)int univ(er)si p(er) p(rese)ntes nos Joh(ann)em Illesley de Aldermaston in com(itatu) Berks gener(osum) et Jacobu(m) Spyer

eodem in com(itatu) p(re)d(icto) Tanner teneri et firmiter obligari venerabili viro Edwardo W(...)te in l(egum) bacchal(aureato)

Archinatus Berks officiali l(egi)time constitut(o) in Ducent(is) libris bone et legalis monetæ Anglie

solvend(is) eidem Edwardo aut suo certo attornato Executoribus successoribus suis Assignat(is) suis

Ad qua(m) quidem soluc(i)o(n)em bene et fidel(ite)r faciend(am) obligamus nos et utrumq(ue) n(ost)rum p(er) se p(ro) toto et insolido

heredes Executores et Administratores n(ost)ros firmiter p(er) p(rese)ntes Sigillis n(ost)ris Sigillat(um) Dat(um)

decimo die me(n)sis Novembris Anno Regni D(omi)ne n(ost)re Elizabethe Dei gr(ati)a Anglie Franncie

et Hibernie Regine fidei Defensoris &c. Tricesimo secundo Annoq(ue) D(omi)ni 1590

[translation]
May all men know by these presents that we, John Illesley of Aldermaston in the county of Berks, gentleman, and James Spyer of the same place in the aforesaid county, tanner, are held and firmly bound to the Worshipful Edward W(...)te, Bachelor of Laws, the lawfully constituted official of the Archdeaconry of Berks, in (the sum of) two hundred pounds of good and lawful money of England to be paid to the same Edward or to his certain attorney, his executors, successors or assigns; for this very payment to be well and faithfully made we bind ourselves, and each one of us for himself, for the whole and undivided amount, (and we bind) our heirs, executors and administrators firmly by these presents; sealed with our seals; given the tenth day of the month of November in the thirty-second year of the reign of our Lady Elizabeth, by the grace of God Queen of England, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith etc., and in the year of the Lord 1590

<signed> John I(...)lye   James Spyer

Sealed and delivered in the
p(re)sence of John Smythe
Richard mills
Martin (?)

[extract John Illesley 4]
The condic(i)on of this obligac(i)on is suche that whereas the Administrac(i)on of all & sing(u)ler the good(es)

Credits(?) and Debt(es) of John Illesley of Aldermaston late deceased intestate is by the w(i)thin

named officiall granted to Elizabeth Illesley the late wyffe of the sayde deceased

Yf therefore the sayde Elizabeth do well and trewly Administer in and (upon?) the sayde good(es)

& paye his debt(es) and legacies yf any do appeare so farr as the sayde good(es) will extende &

(...)her and make a trewe and p(er)fect accompte of and upon her sayde Administrac(i)on and

dischardge her selffe sufficiently thereof before tharchedeacon of Berks or his officiall

and deliv(er) unto the naturall and lawfull children of the sayde deceased yf he hath

any such parte and portion of the good(es) of theyre sayde father deceased or a te(...)e

thereof suche some or somes in pounds of moneye as thadm(ini)stratrix(?) for the tyme beinge shall com(m)itt and

alott unto them and at suche tyme or tymes as he shall appoynte And fynallie do defend

dischardge save and keepe harmeles the w(i)thin named officiall his officers and ministers agaynst

all manner of p(er)sons alwayes and at all tymes for granntinge & com(m)ittinge this Administrac(i)on

of the sayde good(es) unto her Then this obligac(i)on to be voyde frustrate & of none

effecte or els to stande and be in his full power force strength effecte & vertue

h(ab)et ad exhibend(um) Inventariu(m) citra festu(m) Annunciacionis prox(imum)

= must submit an inventory before the next Feast of the Annunciation

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox,

What an interesting Christmas this is turning out to be.

It looks like Georges money was totalling twenty pounds and John's two hundred and it was then left to Margery and Elizabeth respectively to administer these amounts.  Unfortunately, the accompanying documents for George do not appear as thorough as those for John.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Georges money was totalling twenty pounds and John's two hundred and it was then left to Margery and Elizabeth respectively to administer these amounts.

No, the amounts of £20 and £200 are the value of the respective bonds, not of the estates. These amounts were the penalties that would have to be paid if the administration was not carried out according to the law.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks again  :).  I had missed your earlier post about these not being Wills.  My apologise.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 December 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
No problem. Just to explain further, a bond is a promise to do something – in this case, to administer an estate – according to certain terms and conditions, and a penalty would be payable if the terms were not met.

Offline JSHD2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I'm feeling a little ripped off by the BRO  >:( It's a bit like buying a beefburger and just getting the bread and no beaf (not even a lettuce leaf)