Author Topic: Agnes McLeod b. abt.1806, Abdie, Fife, died 1883 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes McLeod b. abt.1806, Abdie, Fife, died 1883 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.
« on: Saturday 16 December 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Trying to discover something about the background of this lady. She was born at Abdie to Alexander McLeod and Anne nee Smith, who had married at Abdie on 16 September 1797. I haven't established the exact date of her birth but using census results, would put it at abt 1806. It's likely that a Hugh McLeod born at Abdie on 15 December 1799 to Alexander McLeod and Anne nee Smith was an older brother.

Agnes McLeod married at Abdie on 17 October 1831 to Walter White (1803-1884), born at Freuchie, Falkland, Fife,  a son of Robert White and Margaret nee Waddell. They had 5 children - two of their sons and three (possibly four) grandchildren emigrated to New Zealand.

There is a family story that says Agnes' parents did not approve of her marriage to Walter, who was a master shoemaker. The couple may have eloped, because the story also says that when her parents discovered Agnes had married Walter anyway, they promptly disinherited her. This indicates that
Alexander & Anne McLeod must have been people of some standing, but I haven't been able to find anything about them. Presumably they didn't regard Walter as having sufficient status to marry their daughter!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes McLeod b. abt.1806, Abdie, Fife, died 1883 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
The couple may have eloped,

As they married in Abdie it's unlikely they eloped

By 1831 Agnes was over 21 and therefore did not need parental consent to marry.

Is Alexander's occupation shown on Hugh's baptism 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

Unfortunately all I've had access to is a basic transcribed record giving the dates of Hugh McLeod's birth/baptism and his parents' names, not an original document - same with the details of his parents' wedding. Two places are given for Agnes & Walter's marriage, Creich & Abdie, both in Fife - again I only have access to a basic transcribed record and not an original document. I've also been thwarted in that I haven't spotted Alexander & Anne (nee Smith) and family in Scotland census records. Perhaps I'm just missing them or perhaps they spent time overseas - perhaps in India or somesuch, though this is purely speculation.

Possibly not an elopement, though it does seem that the marriage took place without her parents' knowledge or blessing - given that family stories generally need to be taken with a grain of salt :)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
If Alexander and Ann married in 1797 - they were probably born in the region of 1770-1775 so may well have died by the time of the 1841 census

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 December 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the 1841 Abdie census might be one of those which has not survived.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 December 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - useful to know. That would also account for why I couldn't find Agnes & Walter White and their family before 1851.

Also true that Agnes' parents might not have made the 1841 Census even if  the Abdie records had survived.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 December 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
You can download all original Scottish Certificates and census from Scotlands people and on Agnes death certificate it should give you her fathers occupation if known by the informant

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 December 17 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Wendy. It would be the logical step and I have checked out Scotland's People, but there is cost involved for documents, so would have to think on that - I've already spent more than I should on BDM documents here in New Zealand  :) It's one of those things - I'm curious because of the family story ( I suspect there might be something in it because being disinherited would have stung) but it's not the end of the world if I can't get any further. Perhaps it could go on hold for a later date.