Author Topic: Agnes McLeod b. abt.1806, Abdie, Fife, died 1883 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.  (Read 2016 times)

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes McLeod b. abt.1806, Abdie, Fife, died 1883 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 December 17 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look on Scotlands People and it states Agnes's father Alex was a Thatcher (deceased).

Agnes died,
 28/4/1883 at 2pm, age 75, cause of death old age and chronic bronchitis (7 years).

Death notified by Agnes's daughter Ann Fraser.

Hope that helps,

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes McLeod b. abt.1806, Abdie, Fife, died 1883 Ferry Port on Craig, Fife.
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 December 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

Unfortunately all I've had access to is a basic transcribed record giving the dates of Hugh McLeod's birth/baptism and his parents' names, not an original document - same with the details of his parents' wedding. Two places are given for Agnes & Walter's marriage, Creich & Abdie, both in Fife - again I only have access to a basic transcribed record and not an original document. I've also been thwarted in that I haven't spotted Alexander & Anne (nee Smith) and family in Scotland census records. Perhaps I'm just missing them or perhaps they spent time overseas - perhaps in India or somesuch, though this is purely speculation.

Possibly not an elopement, though it does seem that the marriage took place without her parents' knowledge or blessing - given that family stories generally need to be taken with a grain of salt :)

Another thing is the reason for the 2 entries They are the calling of the banns in church possibly Abdie for Agnes and Creich for Walter (they were living in different parishes at the time so if anybody knew a reason for them not to marry or had an objection they could voice it before the marriage took place so banns were called in both parishes of residence)