Author Topic: Ancestry sites  (Read 1152 times)

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
Ancestry sites
« on: Saturday 16 December 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure these questions have been asked before!  Would I gain anymore information than now get  from ancestry. Com and joining find my past as I don't want to waste my money?
                                                                                                                 Little annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry sites
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
With so much already online and free  it depends on what you already have and what you are looking for....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 17 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark
Its a mixture of information! But my issues are having  names of children years of birth, but I'm still unable to find exact date of birth with the correct parents!   With out ordering lots of birth certificates at very expensive cost before I find the right one.
So my point is the information I'm looking for is the births and names of parents on correct date of birth? As ancestry does not do that for me at this moment as I might as well use LdS
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 December 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Again it depends on years etc. Are their certs online or not? Religion.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 December 17 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I find, FindMyPast better than Ancestry for Irish  Records and the search facility of the RC parish records is very good... I have done a comparison when doing a blanket search on one family name using both Ancestry and FindMyPast and FindMyPast won hands down. You have to be a little inventive on the name sometimes though!  I know you can trawl through on the National Library website for free but that takes a lot of time and is very tiring on the eyes.

I would suggest checking out your local library to see if they have FindMyPast then you see if they have what you are looking for.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 December 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Again it depends on years etc. Are their certs online or not? Religion.

As well as the dates (before or after civil registration, etc.) and religion the resources available depend on location. GRONI's and PRONI's records for Northern Ireland cover the six counties, etc.

If you give us a better idea of what you are looking for we might be able to suggest better resources than both Ancestry or Find My Past.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 December 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Irish records have a lot of free info online.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Civil Birth records usually have home address and both Mother and Fathers names.
Marriage records: bride and groom Fathers name and occupation
Death cert : address at death and name of person present.

you could gather as much free info as you can and then decide if you need to Buy some important missing info
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 December 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure these questions have been asked before!  Would I gain anymore information than now get  from ancestry. Com and joining find my past as I don't want to waste my money?
                                                                                                                 Little annie

Neither.
Make use of all the free stuff and if there is a must have from one these sites wait for a free weekend or pay per view.