Author Topic: Please can you date photo of Eliza Simpson - presumed date now questioned  (Read 1659 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please can you date photo of Eliza Simpson - presumed date now questioned
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 February 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I have had an email from my cousin who is the owner of the two photos I have posted.  I have asked her to clarify which of the two photos has the photography studio address written on the back.  She has now confirmed that this is of the one of our mutual ancestor sitting on the chair.

Jim1 you have posted that this photo is around WW1 or just after.  Eliza died in 1946 - her Mother Lucy Parkinson (formerly Simpson/nee Gamesby) died 1919.  If you look at the two photos which are posted side by side they both look very similar facially and in hairstyle although I think in the second photo taken in the studio the face shown has a slightly longer, thinner nose.  Although that could just be the angle.  The lady in the second photo looks significantly older than in the first photo.

If this studio photo was also around WW1 or slightly previous to this then the photo may be of Lucy rather than Eliza.  I suppose sometimes mothers and daughters can look very similar.  Can it definitely be ruled out that the studio photo may have been taken around the 1930s or early 40s?
If it definitely is thought to be around WW1 I do think it will have been Lucy. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Not 30's/40's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jim1 for your speedy reply.

It seems now that the photo of the lady in the chair will be of my Great x 2 ancestor then, who was called Lucy Gamesby at birth.  Lucy sometimes known as Louisa died in 1919 - so perhaps this photo may have been taken shortly after death.  She was Eliza's mother.  Eliza holding baby who I now suspect was my Aunt Elizabeth Ann Conroy born 4 July 1910. 

Cousin originally thought this was of her Mother who was born in 1929 and who was the youngest child.  I thought not because I thought the clothes too old-fashioned for around 1930. On RootsChat this photo has been dated as pre or during WW1 which makes me think the baby was my Aunty Betty.  My Dad was the second child born 1913 - however baby in picture looks like a girl and to me the Baby does seem to have a look of my Aunty Betty with her high forehead.

It is great to think that my cousin and I may have photos of both our Great and Great x 2 Grandmothers!  I will be speaking to her soon and will let her know your response Jim1.  Thank you. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
so perhaps this photo may have been taken shortly after death
I would hazard a guess that it was taken shortly before
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Jim1 I think your hazarded guess likely to be right ;D

Your post pointing out my error in writing has made me burst out laughing in a public place.  Yes, I did mean that I thought the photo may have been taken shortly before death.  I am having such a job here trying to pull myself together.

I know there used to be Victorian death photos but as far as I know my ancestors never went in for anything like that :o!!! ;)