Author Topic: Margaret Boyle Aitken  (Read 2480 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Boyle Aitken
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 December 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Very good.  I can't get to that tree.  So Jane is alive 1899. 
I found the Kyle/Aitken photos, but not the one of a Salvation Army lady in an old Victorian dress.  This may mean it is Jane.

As you have access to the tree, does it have Margaret Kyle b 1882, dau of Margaret Boyle Aitken & Alex Kyle.  She either is Margaret Aitken Kyle m. David Martin (no location) or else Margaret m. John Harold Meek in the family church of Knox Presbyterian in Dunedin.  I had assumed it was Meek, but the Aitken middle name is very hard to pass up now that I see it.

Mmm ... I've now kind of lost track of who it is you are wanting to find   ... Jane the daughter ... now it seems to be  Margaret d/o  Margaret and Alexander.   ???      Salvation Army lady ???

~  Lu

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Boyle (Aitken) Kyle
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 December 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just put in for DNA testing looking for family within 5 generations expecting to confirm Irish connections.  The company contacts matching people  giving them my name and e-mail and I get their information. 

After looking at Irish on my mother's father's side for almost 20 years, it dawned on me I knew almost nothing of my mother's mother Mabel's family.  Mabel Jane Kyle was dau of Alexander and Margaret Boyle (Aitken) Kyle and Jane would be her aunt.   I didn't want to be completely caught out if I were contacted by a NZ only a few generations distant. My Gt aunt Dorothy Kyle was single and visited us once in Massachusetts and my aunt knew gt uncle Alexander & family.  Gt Aunt Eleanor died during the ~1921 flu when visiting Mabel in (I think) Palmyra, NY.  So that leaves Margaret Kyle's,  Jane Aitken's, and a Clunie's families  as potential surprises. 

Typically I follow family into the early 1900's as most people have some sort of idea who their grandparents were.  If they mention them on-line, then I often contact them.  Otherwise, no.  Most of my near and distant relatives want  privacy.

I don't know much about DNA testing to know what sort of results to expect.  It is obviously for people who want to make contact with relatives and this company's database isn't the largest. I shall see what happens.