Author Topic: william taylor  (Read 2141 times)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william taylor
« on: Saturday 16 December 17 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find the parents of John Taylor b.abt 1797 ?Scotland. Married Jane (Jean) Walker 30/12/1817 Old Machar. He died 6/7/1852 Old Machar and buried St.Machar cemetery.

Parents named on DC as William Taylor - farm servant and Jean Masson both deceased.

I've looked into all records i could find for Masson, Mason, Monson.

I don't know where parents were born/married/died.

I appreciate any help that's offered

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william taylor
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 17 23:58 GMT (UK) »
There were no death certs in 1852 in Scotland? Is the year correct?

What were the names and birth dates (or years) of their children? (John and Jean)
Is John on a Census 1851, with a place of birth?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 December 17 00:37 GMT (UK) »
In the Statuary Register of Deaths Scotland 1857 p.126 says John Taylor was a widower, he died at Gordon Mills Aberdeen. I have the 1841 and 51 census.

Children were -
1-Jane c.12/9/1823
2-George 4/4/1825
3-Marjory 1826
4-John 5/4/1831

John's wife d.31/10/1842

They lived at Woodside.

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 December 17 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Birth place on Census just says Aberdeenshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 December 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a long gap between the marriage in 1817 and birth of Jane in 1823, so there were probably 3 or 4 other children whose baptisms were not recorded.

Also his age at death is recorded as 67 in 1857, which if accurate gives a birth year of 1789/1790.

The transcription of the 1841 census lists (not in the order below)
John Taylor, 50, spirit merchant
Jane Taylor, 50
Jane Taylor, 20
George Taylor, 15
Marjory Taylor, 15
John Taylor, 10
all born in Aberdeenshire.

Adults' ages in the 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So assuming that these ages are correct, John and Jane were born between 1786 and 1791, Jane jr between 1816 and 1821, George and Marjory between 1821 and 1826, and John jr in 1830/1831.

The index at Scotland's People lists the baptisms of George on 4 April 1825 and John on 5 April 1831, so their ages are accurate in the census. Both were baptised in the parish of Old Machar, which is one of the city parishes in Aberdeen.

The Jane Taylor baptised on 12 September 1823 was at least two years younger than 'your' Jane jr, and was baptised in Peterhead, father John Taylor, mother not named. You must not assume that this is 'your' Jane Taylor,  just because she was born in the same county and was roughly the same age. There are many people whose baptisms are missing from the available records, and it looks as if 'your' Jane jr and Marjory are among them.

This Jane Taylor was one of 5 children baptised in Peterhead, father John Taylor, no mother named: Jean 1817, Margaret 1821, Jane 1823, John 1826, Joan 1827.  (Not very original naming, as Jane, Jean and Joan are all feminine versions of John!) In the 1841 census there is in Peterhead a family consisting of John Taylor, 50, merchant seaman; Margaret Taylor, 50; Jean Taylor, 20; Margaret Taylor, 15; and Joan Taylor, 14. In my opinion the Jane Taylor baptised in Peterhead in 1823 is much more likely to have been a child of this family who died young than the daughter of your John Taylor and Jane/Jean Walker.

The transcription of the 1851 at FreeCEN lists at 215 Barron Street, Aberdeen Old Machar
John Taylor, 60, spirit merchant, born Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen
John Taylor, son, 19, house carpenter, born Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen
Marjory Taylor, daughter, 27, born Aberdeenshire, Aberdeen

Therefore you can concentrate your search for his birth to Aberdeen itself.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 December 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The Jane Taylor b.Peterhead isn't my Jane Taylor /Walker b.1823 Woodside Aberdeen (A......y)and in the 1881 census after her marriage birth is given as 1823 and the 1851 census say 1822. I know these are only estimates. Marjory died in 1910 Alloa aged 88yrs.

I have been looking for John between years 1785 and 1795. What I can't find is a William Taylor married to a Jean Masson parents of John or anything about a Jean Masson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 December 17 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The Jane Taylor b.Peterhead isn't my Jane Taylor /Walker b.1823 Woodside Aberdeen (A......y)and in the 1881 census after her marriage birth is given as 1823 and the 1851 census say 1822. I know these are only estimates.
Please don't tell me that you believe this because you found it on Ancestry.

You said that your Jane Taylor's date of birth was 12 September 1823. The only Jane Taylor baptised on this date, according to the indexes at Scotland's People, is the one in Peterhead. How do you know that someone has not just found this baptism, assumed, in the absence of a baptism of a daughter to John Taylor and Jane/Jean Walker in the city of Aberdeen, it must be the right one, and put that baptism date on Ancestry?

The census never, ever, gives a date of birth. It tells you how old the person said they were on the date of the census. If you 'calculate' the year of birth by subtracting the age on census day, as Ancestry does, you will get the wrong year three times out of four, because the census is usually taken a quarter of the way through the year.

When and whom did 'your' Jane Taylor marry? Where does the 1881 census say she was born?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 December 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Jane Taylor married Alexander John Wilson on 11/10/1843 Inverurie after banns. Both were of same parish - Jane of Canal Terrace, Woodside.

The 1881 Census has birth year 1823 at Woodside, Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 December 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Jane Taylor married Alexander John Wilson on 11/10/1843 Inverurie after banns. Both were of same parish - Jane of Canal Terrace, Woodside.
The 1881 Census has birth year 1823 at Woodside, Aberdeen
No. Some transcription or other may say that she was born in 1823, but the original does not, because the original census never gives a year of birth.

The 1881 census was taken on 3 April 1881. If the 1881 census says she was 58, and assuming this is correct, she was born between 4 April 1822 and 3 April 1823. So she is three times more likely not to have been born in 1823.

I wish these sites would stick to transcribing what is actually there in the original document, and not trying to interpret the information or (mis)calculate from it.