Author Topic: william taylor  (Read 2154 times)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william taylor
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 December 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I have the original 1851 census and it just says she is 48yrs and born Woodside Aberdeen. It was my mistake, I put 1881 instead of 1851.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, you have now lost me completely. Someone aged 48 in the 1851 census would have been born in 1802/1803. You said that Jane Walker or Taylor died in 1842 and her daughter Jane Taylor or Wilson was born in 1823, so someone aged 48 in 1851 cannot be either of them.

Where was Jane Taylor or Wilson living in 1851?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 03:06 GMT (UK) »
I apologize again because I changed the year of the census and forgot to change her age. The 1851 census says Jane was 29yrs and birthplace Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. They were living in South St., Dysart, Fife.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I apologize again because I changed the year of the census and forgot to change her age. The 1851 census says Jane was 29yrs and birthplace Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. They were living in South St., Dysart, Fife.
So is there also a census giving her birthplace as Woodside? Not that it makes much of a difference as Woodside is in the parish of Old Machar.

Interesting that there are two children whose baptisms are not in any of the databases on SP. THis makes me wonder which denomination (if any) they belonged to. Could they, for example, have been Episcopalian? This might account for Jane and her sister Margery, and indeed their parents, all being missing from the records of baptism.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 census of Leeds UK has Jane's birth place as Woodside, Aberdeen. I am unsure of their faith denomination prior to Jane's marriage.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The overwhelming likelihood, then, is that the records of John Taylor's baptism and the marriage of William Taylor and Jean Masson, if they ever existed, have not survived.

There could be an episcopalian register lurking somewhere, but finding it would be quite a challenge and there is no guarantee that it will contain the information you are seeking. If you feel up to pursuing this you could start with the Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney http://www.scotland.anglican.org/who-we-are/organisation/bishops-and-their-dioceses/diocese-of-aberdeen-orkney/ adn see if you get anywhere.

Best of luck!

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. I am determined to pursue it further one way or another.

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours,

Marj