Author Topic: william vokey  (Read 4391 times)

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william vokey
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 December 17 05:27 GMT (UK) »
According to Genuki  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Extraparochial/SunkislandPRlocation there are no parish records for Sunk Island prior to 1820.  :'(

Apologies, I misread the original query as Sarah being born 1834 for some reason.

No, Sunk Island appears to have been extra parochial prior to 1820, but families may be able to be found in the neighbouring parishes (or of course local non-conformist congregations).

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 December 17 10:26 GMT (UK) »
according to this tree - Sarah Vokey was born 1690 in Poole ,Dorset ,England and died aged 70 in 1760 in Bishops Cove,Newfoundland ,Canada - she married a John Barrett - could this be a sister of William Vokey ??   if so - do we think William may have been born in Dorset as well ??

https://gw.geneanet.org/princessdella?n=vokey&oc=&p=sarah
ADDED
This record says she was born Channel Islands and died 1765 aged 75 - so one of them is wrong ..

https://gw.geneanet.org/brent?n=vokey&oc=1&p=sarah
you might find some info of interest to you on here
https://en.geneanet.org/fonds/individus/?size=10&nom=vokey&ignore_each_patronyme=&prenom=&prenom_operateur=or&ignore_each_prenom=&place__0__=&zonegeo__0__=&country__0__=&region__0__=&subregion__0__=&place__1__=&zonegeo__1__=&country__1__=&region__1__=&subregion__1__=&place__2__=&zonegeo__2__=&country__2__=&region__2__=&subregion__2__=&place__3__=&zonegeo__3__=&country__3__=&region__3__=&subregion__3__=&place__4__=&zonegeo__4__=&country__4__=&region__4__=&subregion__4__=&from=1700&to=1800&exact_month=&exact_day=&exact_year=&go=1
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline julia vokey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Children of William Vokey and Sarah Strickland . Sarah 1757, Thomas 1753, Anne1750, Wm Philip1755 Mary 1757
Children of William Vokey and Sarah Strickland . Sarah 1757, Thomas 1753, Anne1750, Wm Philip1755 Mary 1782. My info on Sarah Strickland says born on Sunk Island east riding of Yorkshire uk 1733.I don't know where they were married in the uk but his will says he was from Jersey Isle but I'm thinking they came via jersey isle. Thanks for your prompt reply. Julia

Is Mary 1782 a typo?
I doubt there would be a 25-year gap between two of the children (not to mention the age of the parents)!
Bev
. My info on Sarah Strickland says born on Sunk Island east riding of Yorkshire uk 1733.I don't know where they were married in the uk but his will says he was from Jersey Isle but I'm thinking they came via jersey isle. Thanks for your prompt reply. Julia

Is Mary 1782 a typo?
I doubt there would be a 25-year gap between two of the children (not to mention the age of the parents)!
Bev

Offline julia vokey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 17 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I made a mistake with birth of marys birth .should be 1757 . Also some are confused with Sarah Vokey and sarah  Vokey nee Strickland.

Offline Chinablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
William Vokey and Sarah Strickland are my Great Great Grandparents. What would you like to know. I’ll see if I can help.

Offline Chinablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 March 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Julia, William Vokey was born in Chedder, Somerset, England in 1788 according to the 1841 England Census
Married Sarah January 26, 1811

Sarah was born in 1789 in Somerton, Somerset, England.

The Vokey’s came to Newfoundland from England. It was two brothers that came here in the 1800’s I believe. They mainly lived in Trinity and Spaniards Bay Newfoundland

Does this help?

Kim

Offline julia vokey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 March 18 01:32 BST (UK) »
We may be talking about  a different William vokey. My husbands  lineage is Philip vokey married Dianna Gosse, Son Aaron Vokey married Virigina McGrath. AAron and his brother nathanial were born in Spainards Bay and moved to Trinity Bay. What is the first Vokey that came to NL?

Offline Chinablue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 March 18 03:24 BST (UK) »
This is the same information I have as well. My email was to point out that William Vokey, that married Sarah Strickland, was born in 1788. :

When William Vokey was born in 1788 in Somerset, England, his father, Philip, was 33 and his mother, Rebecca, was 15. He married Sarah Strickland on January 26, 1811. They had ten children in 20 years. He died on February 14, 1867, in Colony, Alabama, USA, having lived a long life of 79 years, and was buried in Rodney Stoke, Somerset, England”

The William Vokey born 1729 was married to a Sarah Welland:

“William J Vokey was born in 1729. He married Sarah Welland on June 13, 1779, in Witley, Surrey, England. They had one child during their marriage. He died in November 1783 at the age of 54, and was buried in Stepney, Middlesex, England.”

The first Vokey in Newfoundland I have is Philip William Vokey born 1755. He was married to Rebecca Kate Crane

Offline julia vokey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 March 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim  Do you live in NL. I live in Pasadena NL Where did you get the info of William Vokey that he died in Alabama USA . That's  interesting info.   Easter Blessings          Julia