Author Topic: Jane Sansome and Mary Ann Hough both born Shrewsbury  (Read 1136 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Jane Sansome and Mary Ann Hough both born Shrewsbury
« on: Sunday 17 December 17 01:56 GMT (UK) »
I believe there may be a connection between a Jane Sansom/Sansomer baptised 23 April 1815 at St Mary's,  Shrewsbury (father James and mother Margaret) and a Mary Ann Hough father William (no baptismal date found although her later census records indicate she was born Shrewsbury).

One connection may be that they may have been boating families on the canals and moved around a fair bit.

Jane Sansom married Edward Wenlock in Uttoxeter, Staffs on 4 August 1846 and Mary Ann Hough married Joseph Hall on 2 Dec. 1838 in Wolverhampton, Staffs.   Mary Ann is my gg-grandmother and lived with Joseph Hall in Ripley, Derbyshire.

The two women kept in touch and in her will Mary Ann referred to some of Jane's children as her nephew and nieces.

I cannot establish a kin relationship between Jane and Mary Ann but given the wording of Mary Ann's will suspect there is one.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

marp

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Sansome and Mary Ann Hough both born Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 December 17 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Could they have just been related by this Marriage?

10 Jun 1867
Marriage Place:   Stafford, Staffordshire
Henry HALL age 26, Father JAMES, a Labourer
Mary WENLOCK age 26, Father EDWARD, a Farmer
(FreeREG)

1841 Census Edward Wenlock is married to a Elizabeth and is a Widower when he married Jane in 1846.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 17 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I was fascinated by the connection you made and thought it entirely possible.  The problem was that I could not find either Henry Hall who married Mary Wenlock or his father James on our family tree on A********.

"My" Joseph Hall who married Mary Ann Hough was born 1815 in Denby and died in Ripley in 1894.  His parents were a William Hall  (1792-1863 Denby) and wife Sarah Water.  I looked at siblings and could find no James with a son Henry.   This does not mean that I gathered up the entire family of course!

Mary Ann in her will of 1902 specifically mentions various beneficiaries "my nephew James Wenlock", she also mentions a number of nieces who are hard to track with their married names eg Mrs Harriet Bull, Mrs Frances Pickles, Mrs Georgiana Clough and niece Fanny Large who I believe was the daughter of Frances Theresa Wenlock who married a George Large.

Thank you very much for making a connection which so far I cannot follow up!   I would love some more help on this if anyone has time! 

marp

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 December 17 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Possible baptism for Mary Ann Hough
St Peter Wolverhampton
Mary Ann Hough bap 27 March 1821 father William Hough, boatman, mother Elizabeth

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 December 17 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Wolverhampton makes sense.  On the  various censuses  Mary Ann has listed her place of birth as Wolverhampton and in other places Shrewsbury eg 1861 Shrewsbury in 1871 Wolverhampton and in 1881 and 1891 Shrewsbury.  I believe that her father was a boatman on the canals and they would have moved around.  Mary Ann married Joseph Hall in Wolverhampton.
Thanks for this, I did not have her baptism.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 December 17 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Other children of same parents, same church
William bap 27 December 1818
Henry bap 27 December 1818

Its does not say they are twins.

Henry aged 20 father William Hough married Ann Roberts aged 26 father Joseph, on  22 March 1838 at Collegiate Wolverhampton  the same church as Mary Ann and Joseph Hall in December of 1838.

There is another William Hough with a wife named Elizabeth baptizing children at the same church
however his occupation is a Cooper, the entries always distinguish the 2 Williams by occupation

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 December 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Just bookmarking to get back to this later.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)