Author Topic: Help with Mac Family Tree.  (Read 2367 times)

Offline SWTairen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Mac Family Tree.
« on: Sunday 17 December 17 04:54 GMT (UK) »
I've lost that tool bar that sits on the left that allows me to edit different things like locations and sources and also has the person and family count and all the charts and graphs that you can use. I lost it when the new version of Mac Family Tree came out and it gave me a quick pop-up about it and I haven't had it since. Any idea how to get it back or what happened to it? Any help would be appreciated!

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mac Family Tree.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, SWTairen. Welcome to Rootschat.

I’m not sure that I follow your problem, but possibly it’s this:

Version 7 of MFT has the toolbar to the left as you describe. With Version 8 it was moved to the top.

If you are referring to V7, there is a little arrow down near the bottom left corner allowing you to increase or decrease the size of the page you are working on by changing the width of the tool bar. Reducing the tool bar width leaves its icons showing, but hides its word descriptions. (Perhaps this is why it appears to have disappeared?)

Here are two screen shots of the different positions. I’ve marked the little buttons (or arrows) with large black arrows.

If I’ve misunderstood you and your problem is more substantial, I suggest you email Synium (the owner of MFT), explaining things to them as clearly as possible. I’ve found them very good in responding to genuine problems with their software.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline SWTairen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm aware of that arrow...I'm curious as to why I don't even have that...

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Beyond my pay scale, I'm afraid. :-\
I'd suggest sending your query to Synium. The link below takes you to, I think, the appropriate page for your version of MFT for submitting queries. Just scroll down and complete your details and describe your problem for them:

http://www.syniumsoftware.com/contact?identifier=MFT7

[Added: Sorry, can't seem to get it to take as a link. You'll need to copy and paste the above details.
Added: Oh, now it works :-\]
There is provision for sending screen shots to illustrate the problem.
Hope this helps. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline SWTairen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that advice. I did actually get a response from them and apparently they have no idea what happened or how to fix it so they gave me a free copy of version 8.

I am pretty impressed and I'm liking 8 quite a bit but I've noticed a couple things that I can't do in 8 that I could do in 7 and I'm wondering if maybe I can turn on something but I'm going to get a hold of them about it as well.

I can't find searches with the married names. If I search a name and the wife was married but unknown name I'd put Unknown Unknown (Thorrasson) but it's not finding the unknown wife. (Pics included for this problem.

The other problem is that I can't choose multiple sources. So if I have say 6 sources and I want to include 4 of those I have to choose one at a time instead of being able to select those 4 all at the same time. I'm not sure how to capture a picture of that...

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please how to add generations to the kekule ancestor report in MFT9? At the moment I'm limited to 10 generations and can't find anything in the manual relating to this.

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
Jack, click on the icon at the bottom of your report page that looks like a couple of sliders and says "Report". It opens up to a number of options including a slider allowing up to 100 generations.
Hope this helps.
Peter

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
Peter,

Thanks for that and for being so prompt

Kind regards,
Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk