Author Topic: Any ideas please  (Read 2142 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 December 17 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I found this:

http://thedocksofhull.weebly.com/alexandra-dock.html

From that site:
"The dock was opened on Thursday, 16th July 1885 by the wife of Lt Colonel Gerard Smith. M.P. Chairman of the Hull & Barnsley Railway Company, who stood in for Princess Alexandra and the Prince of Wales who were unable to attend at the last minute."

So as an alternative to the 1869 visit, could this medal be commemorating something that never happened?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 December 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes that thought occurred to me too...it makes sense as the dock appears to have been named after her.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 December 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
At least JenB's link has the couple facing the right way for Albert and Alexandra, so certainly them on some occasion.    (although having said that . . . .  in some other images on that link they are facing the other way . . . someone explain that to me please.  I thought rulers faced opposite ways as they succeeded.  i.e. Elizabeth's successor will face the other way, as did her father.)

Like Arthur's idea . . . .

Wiggy   :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 December 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
At least JenB's link has the couple facing the right way for Albert and Alexandra, so certainly them on some occasion.    (although having said that . . . .  in some other images on that link they are facing the other way . . . someone explain that to me please.  I thought rulers faced opposite ways as they succeeded.  i.e. Elizabeth's successor will face the other way, as did her father.)

I think the 'facing opposite ways' only applies to currency; I thought this was a souvenir.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 December 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
You are probably right NJ.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 December 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The nose shapes look right for Albert and Alexandra
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 December 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »

I think the 'facing opposite ways' only applies to currency; I thought this was a souvenir.

Yes I thought that too.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 December 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
The nose shapes look right for Albert and Alexandra

Thanks for that Geoff....it is a good match  :)

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 December 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
There was a visit by the Prince and Princess of Wales to Hull in July 1869 to open the Albert Dock. Widely reported in newspapers at the time.
Isobel

Now I have the chance to take a proper look without trying to do several things at once, I think that this is most likely to be the occasion that the coin was struck. It was named after Albert Edward.

Thanks Isobel for your help and to JenB for finding the image and others who joined the search  :D

Carol