Author Topic: THOMAS READ AND WIFE ELIZABETH ? BETHNAL GREEN  (Read 10830 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS READ AND WIFE ELIZABETH ? BETHNAL GREEN
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 December 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Keyboard86,

I did look at that 1861 census for Elizabeth but dismissed it as the transcription had her as a widow. But looking again the actual image does appear to show her as married. I also completely overlooked that Thomas and Elizabeth were at Church Road in 1871. It's good job one of us is on the ball.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 December 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Another possible marriage. Given the baptisms in Spitalfields this would be a good fit, albeit just before the baptism of Thomas in May.

married: 24 Apr 1814; St Mary, Whitechapel; banns
groom: Thomas Read; bach; otp
bride: Elizabeth Howard; spin; otp
witnesses: Thomas Martine?, Catherine Newman

Clutching at straws slightly I had a look for possible baptisms of Elizabeth Howard in St Luke and the best I could find was:

Baptisms - St Luke, Finsbury:
13 May 1789  Susanna Mary Howard; John & Elizabeth; glass polisher; born 02 Apr 1789; twin
13 May 1789  Fanny Elizabeth Howard; John & Elizabeth; glass polisher; born 02 Apr 1789; twin
08 Nov 1789  Margaret Elizabeth Howard; Thomas & Elizabeth; currier?; born 15 Oct 1789
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 December 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
To Cuffie, Rosie, and Keyboard 86
Thank you all for your input, I will digest it all and reply accordingly. 
Lesley

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 December 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Spitalfields 2 October 1814 -Elisabeth Ann dtr of Thomas & Elisabeth Read abode Wilks Street occ Weaver.

It is looking as though young Thomas who was baptised 30 May 1814 could have been a few months old at baptism  :-\

Same church and other details John Read bapt 12 Oct 1817
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 December 17 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I feel silly, I typed up a whole story and had posted it but was stopped due to Rosie99 replying, so I read her information thereby losing my reply to you all.  Can someone help find it?  If not I will have to type it all again. 

Going on what Rosie has added
The Thomas and Elizabeth who had Thomas 1814, also had Elizabeth Ann 1814 and John 1817 Wilks Street, so it would appear that this Elizabeth Ann is the one who married Thomas Simpson.  Correct me if I am wrong.  This would make Thomas, George, Elizabeth Ann and John not related to the Bethnal Green READS' or did they live in Wilks Street before going to Bethnal Green.

Sorry I don't know England at all so where is Wilks Street, anywhere near Bethnal Green?

Lesley

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 December 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I have retyped up the information which I lost previously......I have put together all the information posted and I would appreciate comments.

We still have not come to a conclusion on Elizabeth's maiden name.   I guess purchasing her death record is the only way to find out.  To find Thomas' parents I guess I need to get his death as well.  Will have to find their GRO references as it will be cheaper from Australia.

We have three choices of marriage

1.   Thomas Read married Elizabeth Burnell on 30 December 1810.

2.   Thomas Read married Elizabeth Howard on 24 April 1814 at St Mary Whitechapel
Witnesses Thomas Martine; Catherine Newman
And

3.   Thomas Read and Elizabeth Wilkes Legassick on 29 August 1822

Now for the children of which I only had 4 myself.

Thomas baptised in 30 May 1814 Father Thomas - Weaver - Wilks Street – Also George born  27 March 1820 Wilks Street.
Most recently Rosie99 found Elizabeth Ann bapt. 2 October 1814 who married Thomas Simpson? Married 1842 and had 11 children and John bapt 12 October 1817.

Could these children be from a different Thomas and Elizabeth than my Bethnal Green Reads and is it just coincidental that both Thomas senior’s were weavers or could the Bethnal Green Reads’ have lived at Wilks Street first.  These children could belong to either of the first two above marriages.

The other children seem to fit for the Legassick and Howard marriages.

1841 census
Thomas and Elizabeth – both aged 50
a)George 20 - born 27/3/1820 - Wilks Street Father Thomas – could be from either Howard or Legassick marriage.  If Legassick he would have been born out of wedlock!!!
I actually contacted a Brian Legassick from the UK and he sent me the Legassick family history in which Elizabeth Wilks Legassick married a Thomas Read but they had no further information other than the marriage on 29 August 1822.

b) Ann 19 born 1822  Wilmot Street, Bethnal Green
c) James William 15 - born 18/12/1824 Wilmot Street, Bethnal Green  (he would have to be 17 with this date)
d) Jane 14 (born 1827) lived at Wilmot Street, Bethnal Green - Weaveress
e) Charles 12 (my guy - born 23 December 1829 chr. 17 Jan 1830) He was a Mariner apprentice from age 15 in 1844.
f) Benjamin 8 - born 1833
g) Alfred 6 - born 1835

1851 census
Thomas - 60
Elizabeth - 60
Jane 24
Charles is away
It looks like George 30, Ann 29 and James 25 have left home.
I wonder where Benjamin 18 and Alfred 16 are?

1861 census
Address: Church Road, Edmonton
Only Thomas and Elizabeth both 70 

1871 census
Elizabeth is 80 years of age living at Church Road Edmonton - born St Lukes
1873 Elizabeth dies aged 82 at Edmonton (making her born 1789)
1876 Thomas dies aged 88 at Edmonton (making him born 1783) retired silk weaver.

Thanks again
Lesley

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 December 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I guess purchasing her death record is the only way to find out.  To find Thomas' parents I guess I need to get his death as well.

You will not find that information on an English death cert.  This is what they look like....

https://www.bmd-certificates.co.uk/images/death_large.jpg

Debra  :D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 December 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
If Charles married Annie SHELBOURNE in Sydney in 1858 then the marriage cert should give his mother's maiden surname.  Did he not know what it was?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 December 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I have seen a coy of the registry marriage cert and it has been reconciled with the church registers.  Unfortunately the officiating minister did not record the parents' names.  What was he thinking  >:(