Author Topic: Ballyknock  (Read 1679 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyknock
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Several of us have tried to help but have had difficulty understanding what you were looking for so think you are being a bit unfair  :-\

The problem when posting online is that you know what you are looking for, where you have searched already, etc. but we don't know all that information which is why we ask questions in order to help you.

Magheralinn R.C. records start 1815 and if you've searched there already and not found any other details on the family perhaps there are gaps (either missing bits or illegible portions) so next step is to widen searches to adjoining parishes in case the family moved before that 1825 baptism. Remember also that marriages usually take place in the bride's church (which might not be the same as the groom's) so you might find a marriage in one place but children baptised in another.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at SIT and add your families there. One never knows when someone searching for the same family will find you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Have just found several online trees- not sure if any are yours but they give Peter Devlin (born 1800 Ireland died 1855 Scotland) married to Jane McKay/McKie (born 1794 Ireland) with children Hugh (born 1825 Ireland died 1881 Scotland), Archibald (born c1833 Scotland), William (born c1835 Scotland) and one tree with a daughter Alison Develen (born 1832 Ireland). No mention of Sarah (c1825). Lots for you to explore there which might help you get further back with your family.

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you yes some of my family put them on there tree but I could not tie them in as Hugh still in Ireland in 1840s but thanks for your help xx

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
It's not clear if you (or other relatives) have explored all possible Scottish resources. For example, if this is true-
Have just found several online trees- not sure if any are yours but they give Peter Devlin (born 1800 Ireland died 1855 Scotland) married to Jane McKay/McKie (born 1794 Ireland) with children Hugh (born 1825 Ireland died 1881 Scotland), Archibald (born c1833 Scotland), William (born c1835 Scotland) and one tree with a daughter Alison Develen (born 1832 Ireland). No mention of Sarah (c1825). Lots for you to explore there which might help you get further back with your family.
then Peter's death certificate should list place of birth, parents' names, etc.-
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-deaths

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
No but someone put peter on there tree I thought he might have been a brother of Hugh but still trying to get through Catholic Church records someone on Northern Ireland genealogy gave me the link to ballyknock that’s when I found my great gran baptism  also a headstone with Devlin so will check
Have Hugh death cert with parents name will check others you have said thanks again xx

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 December 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
hi
just checked archibald william alison and not my family but thanks
peter death no record for him only hugh  death someone has my hugh who died 1881

Offline christina279

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 December 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
also wrong religion