Author Topic: This one for Ponty people.!!!  (Read 1550 times)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This one for Ponty people.!!!
« on: Monday 18 December 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Sardis Chapel sits in the middle of Ponty.  Before road improvements in the 1980s and 1990s the chapel had a burial ground. What became of the Burials when the churchyard was made smaller and the vestry repositioned to the side ??🤔
I have asked Glyntaff Cemetery and they do not know ???  Were they moved ? Or are they still there ?

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: This one for Ponty people.!!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Please try Pontypridd Liibrary they might know
Cheers Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Phoned there to be told they didn't  know...... and that Glyntaff  had just rung with the question !!!.
I said I know it was me that asked them......I suppose  that is why the question is for Ponty people.  I hope one of them that knows the answer reads this ...but thanks anyway

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I think it was Glyntaff but can't say for definate

I know the exhumed bodies from the one in Graigwen road in the late 1970s were placed there (except Evan James and James James)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 December 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's right. They can tell me that Carmel, Penuel and Ebenezer Burials  were moved to Glyntaff at various times and put in mass graves with rose gardens above............but when it comes to the Sardis Burials they don't  have a clue...even though it must have been after 1984. They should know ....why they don't or won't  even look is beyond me??? After all  it is their responsibility  to know who and where are buried at the cemetery. If the Burials are not there they should know that too.

Offline bessant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
hi there! i went down this road years back, asking this question . i spoke to the minister of the chapel regards also of the records of the deaths , marrages, christenings etc and he told that they were either lost or destroyed !! and could not help me , many of my desendants were members and assistant preachers of sardis chapel , my gr,gr,grandfather got married there in 1860's and i believe were buried there . i have a booklet supplied by the glamorgan family history society with some names of the interned and a history of the chapel. glyntaff cemetry is the most probable place, going to the office on site and talk to the sextons office may be they could put some light on this subject...............who are you looking for maybe i can help ........bessant

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi bessant,

Thank you for your comments. I have the same GFHS Sardis booklet. They are mentioned in it and the grave identified and the Monumental Inscription is clear. What happened next as I mentioned earlier is I went to the office at Glyntaff cemetery having phoned them. They asked me if I had a date !!!
I pointed out you don't get over a 100 burials in one day...everyday. They asked me what I was asking them !!!! I rang the library but no luck there and to be told that the Cemetery had just rang them with the same question .
All I wanted to know was did the burials get re-interrred  in Glyntaff ??
and they don't know !
 So I put the question on this forum,
What we do know is that the M.I'S were recorded in 1984 which means the graves were moved after then. Glyntaff does not have a record of their names either ! 
It could be that they were re-interred elsewhere but where  ??
I suppose I could message the council offices and copy in the chief executive and The Rhondda Leader
perhaps then I might get the answer............. :-\
Regards and thanks
mlr

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
The local history staff at Ponty library are brilliant and have gone beyond what you might expect several times looking for things for me.

If you live locally, perhaps you could look at the newspapers (at the library), though without a better idea of the date that could be a long task. What about council minutes re the road improvements, might narrow down the dates.     
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
The local history staff on duty was a North Wallian who lives in Pentyrch and thanks to the cuts rotates between Treorchy Aberdare and Ponty.
I rang the library as I said...they did not know.  It happend after 1984 . I do not live locally.