Author Topic: Responding to an unwanted genealogy question  (Read 1104 times)

Offline USCRx

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Responding to an unwanted genealogy question
« on: Monday 18 December 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
   I had this question from a friend recently, and was unsure how to respond. She said she had been approached by a 'cousin,' who was asking her some questions about other family members, that sounded like it might lead to some revelations about very sensitive issues (birth out of wedlock, affairs, etc.). She felt that it was fine for this cousin to try to determine her natural parents, but didn't want to be involved in this 'cousin's' search. She wanted my suggestions on how to respond to this 'cousin' kindly, but refuse to divulge any more information.
   Any thoughts or suggestions on how she should proceed? Thanks!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Responding to an unwanted genealogy question
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 December 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
When  you say "cousin" how close a relationship is it - firstly she absolutely sure that they are related? I think it also depends whether or not the questions are about living people, if so, I think I would refuse to answer or become involved. Possibly the simplest answer is, "I don't know." However, if the information is out there and the cousin knows where and how to look, she will probably discover it for herself.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 December 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Have I understood this correctly?  Is this the type of scenario?

Your friend has cousin A and Cousin B.  Cousin B has been asking your friend about Cousins C, D and E, which relate to events surrounding Cousin A's birth?

I'd feel the same as your friend, depending on the circumstances.  If I knew anything I'd probably be happy to talk to Cousin A, but it's none of Cousin B's business. 

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 December 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
   I had this question from a friend recently, and was unsure how to respond. She said she had been approached by a 'cousin,' who was asking her some questions about other family members, that sounded like it might lead to some revelations about very sensitive issues (birth out of wedlock, affairs, etc.). She felt that it was fine for this cousin to try to determine her natural parents, but didn't want to be involved in this 'cousin's' search. She wanted my suggestions on how to respond to this 'cousin' kindly, but refuse to divulge any more information.
   Any thoughts or suggestions on how she should proceed? Thanks!

Where is the dilemma?
Your friend said she "didn't want to be involved in this 'cousin's' search" so she should simply tell the truth.
Something along the lines of : I wish you good fortune in your search but I am afraid I do not want to be involved in the search.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.