Author Topic: Emigrants from Germany/Prussia to Manchester, England? What records available?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

My ancestor Conrad Heinrich Vetter is first found in the 1851 census living with his wife and their children at Crown Court in Manchester, Lancashire. He is a musician, professor of music, and music instrument repairer in future censuses (eventually the family moves to Chorley).

He was born about 1816 and his birth place is consistently "Prussia," or Germany in census records. His wife was born about 1810 and I know she is from Hesse and was previously married to a Jacob Veit (her maiden name was Thorn). She had a daughter, Catharina Veit, from that marriage, who married Jacob Stutt in Manchester - he was also German.

Their first son, Frederick, is baptised in Manchester in 1843 so I know both Conrad Heinrich and his wife Anna Maria were in Manchester by then. I can't find them in the 1841 census. They didn't marry until 1846 after first baptising a second son, John.

In 1861 Conrad Heinrich is referred to as a British subject, implying he was naturalized between 1851 and 1861. He is always referred to as a British subject thereafter until his death in 1890. He seems to have gone by Henry Vetter (his name on most of his children's birth certificates, marriage certs, etc). His wife is buried as Mary Vetter. Sometimes their last name is mis-spelled Fetter or Fether (V and F pronounced similarly in German, apparently).

I can't find Conrad Heinrich or his wife (with her maiden, 1st married, or 2nd married names) in any of the passenger lists or foreign arrivals lists on Ancestry (I did find their neighbors, the Hausers).

Where else could I look for records of these emigrants? I would really like to find Conrad Heinrich's kingdom of origin. His son Fred became a pretty well-respected musician (playing for the royal family on a few occasions) and clearly learned his talent from his father.

Thanks in advance!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants from Germany/Prussia to Manchester, England? What records available?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I see from the marriage record (Fetter)  that Conrad's father had the same name.

This must be a strong possibility for his parents' marriage - 1815, Naunstadt, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JHCP-XZD
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants from Germany/Prussia to Manchester, England? What records available?
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 December 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
I see from the marriage record (Fetter)  that Conrad's father had the same name.

This must be a strong possibility for his parents' marriage - 1815, Naunstadt, Hessen-Nassau, Prussia:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JHCP-XZD

Hi Shaun,

I have seen this marriage, and I found they also baptised an illegitimate son the year before their marriage (Carl Philip I think it was) but then I lose all trace of the pair and can't find them baptising further children, Conrad included. I wonder if they moved parishes or emigrated elsewhere themselves?

Offline Dixoj004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am a descendant of Jacob Stutt (1830-1912) and Catherina Veit (1833-1866).

Jacob emigrated from Germany to Dover UK in 1845 travelling with the Vidisch sisters, they are all musicians:

Jacob was married twice and had 4 children with Catherina and 1 with his 2nd wife Eleanor Lyon, plus a step son.

I am descended from their daughter Alice Stutt (1862-1898).

If you need any other information let me know:

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow I am so sorry I missed this!
I now have a ton of information that I learned about Catharina’s parents from a researcher and distant cousin in Germany. Please feel free to message me if interested.

Hi,

I am a descendant of Jacob Stutt (1830-1912) and Catherina Veit (1833-1866).

Jacob emigrated from Germany to Dover UK in 1845 travelling with the Vidisch sisters, they are all musicians:

Jacob was married twice and had 4 children with Catherina and 1 with his 2nd wife Eleanor Lyon, plus a step son.

I am descended from their daughter Alice Stutt (1862-1898).

If you need any other information let me know:

Offline Dixoj004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 January 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hilary

Thank you for your reply I would be very interested in any information you have on Catherina veit and her family.

Thank you

Julie Gibbins