Author Topic: Henry Armstrong help please!  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Armstrong help please!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Emeltom, found that. The only problem I have now is do I believe her marriage cert where it names the father as Thomas Robson, husbandman and let that take priority and go with the baptism in Newburn 25 miles away from Birtley OR do I follow up the FamilySearch Birtley baptism and assume she was illegitimate...

I'm not sure what my next step should be or where to look next
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 12:40 GMT (UK) »
The baptism in Newburn for Margaret gives parents Thomas and Isabella. Thomas Robson married Isabella Orans in Newburn in 1815 and they had several children all baptised Newburn. If your Margaret is the daughter of this Thomas and Isabella why, on several Censuses, does she give her pob as Birtley? Why not Newburn where the baptism took place and the family obviously lived.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
1841 census has this in Birtley Village

William Robson 55 coal miner
Ann Robson 55
Rodger 25
William 15
James 14
John 13
Margaret 11
William 6

1851 census has this

Wm Robson 26 b Birtley coalminer
Ann Robson wife
John Robson son
Ann Robson daughter
Margaret Robson 22 b Birtley House Keeper Niece. (age transcribed as 22 but could easily be 21).

The above William Robson would appear to have been  the son of William Robson and Ann Parker. There is also this baptism in Birtley.

Margaret Robson born April 16th 1807 baptised Aug 20th 2nd daughter of Wm Robson, Pitman native of the parish of Chollerton by his wife Ann dau of Roger Parker native of the parish of Simonburn.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William, but if I have the correct marriage cert for Henry Armstrong and Margaret Robson, then Margaret Robson father is named as Thomas Robson, husbandman.

I am now thrown into complete confusion as it could be that my Margaret, born in Birtley circa 1830 is illegitimate, mother called Margaret Robson.

I am now questioning if I have the correct marriage certificate and correct Margaret!!

I have just taken a step back again and looked at the census data and what I know for certain

Henry Armstrong born Higham Dykes / Ponteland 1826/1827 with wife Margaret born Birtley 1829-1831

The fathers occupation and all the children names and dates of birth match on 1861,1871,1881 and 1891 census. By 1891 Margaret had died.

Is Margaret definitely a Robson based on this information?

In which case it looks likely that she was illegitimate.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 December 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ALL so much, particularly Eleltom and William.

I’ve looked at what you said and it seems to fit perfectly and I’ve now made some progression on the Margaret Robson side which is great!

Any suggestions with regards to Henry Armstrong’s lines?