Author Topic: Budgells of Somerset (Barwick, Stoford, Yeovil & East Coker)  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Budgells of Somerset (Barwick, Stoford, Yeovil & East Coker)
« on: Tuesday 19 December 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Anyone doing any research into this name (also Budgel with one example that I've seen of Budgen)? The parish records show a number of people of this surname in Barwick from the mid 18thC but without evidence from baptism records to go at least one more generation back it looks like they ought to be related but there is no proof. Almost all were labourers during this period. So far, at least three separate lines seem to exist beginning with an Ephraim of Stafford - presumably Stoford (married 1748 East Coker), Isaac (married 1769 Nether Compton, Dorset) and George of Barwick (married 1769 Barwick). Isaac's descendants seem to have flourished in South Barrow.

I'm trying to follow a line of Budgells from Joseph - Levi - Joseph (William) - Albert William, which went from Barwick in the late eighteenth century and ended up in Croydon in the late nineteenth century. There are two Josephs known: one a son of Ephraim and the other a son of George so either might be the man, in theory.

I'm interested in any research that people might be doing on this surname or have come across because I suspect many of these Budgells will be related.
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Budgells of Somerset (Barwick, Stoford, Yeovil & East Coker)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests Board - scroll down to bottom of page for link which can be found under Tools
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't tried that route before, Carole. Thanks...I've given it a whirl!
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried FreeREG to sort out your Budgells?

Looking at Barwick records on there we have;
BUDGELL
36 Baptisms 1770-1865
19 Marriages 1769-1871
38 Burials 1793-1882
BUDGEL
41 Baptisms 1731-1840
11 Marriages 1777-1848
42 Burials 1774-1850

I did notice a Joseph Budgell was a witness to Georges 1769 Marriage.

The 1731 Baptism was HANAH Budgel, Father RICHARD, abode Stafford

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your assistance, Trish.

I've covered these via a combination of original images, wherever possible, and transcriptions. No luck to date in establishing a link between the Barwick (and close by) Budgells listed around 1730 and those estimated to be born around 1730-1760 for whom I can find marriage but not baptismal records. I suspect a trip to Somerset (and possibly Dorset) Archives will be in order, pending any notifications from anyone else.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 17 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with the visit to the Archives, sorry I wasnt more of a help.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 January 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
The extra information from the summaries was useful for some of the sideways branches and the later nineteenth century, thanks.

Richard