Author Topic: "Privately Baptised" - Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, 1795  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
"Privately Baptised" - Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, 1795
« on: Wednesday 20 December 17 02:40 GMT (UK) »
I found a record for an ancestor's sibling stating that she was baptised 24 March 1795 (Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex) and the register's note states: "privately baptised March the 9th".  She was born 18 Feb 1795.  (I have not yet found her death, nor a marriage for her.)

What might be typical reasons for a private baptism, please (and, having a second baptism)?  Thank you in advance for any ideas.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: "Privately Baptised" - Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, 1795
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 03:28 GMT (UK) »
I think the most common reason for a private baptism would be that the child sick and not expected to survive. A good explanation here:
http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/lawshall-of-private-baptisms-and-misgotten-infants/

If a child had been privately baptised, they might then be "received" into the Church (some people call this another baptism, but technically it's not). I have also seen examples where some were baptised more than once in order to be eligible for Poor Relief (coming under the Parish they were baptised) - though that's not the case in your example  :).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi maddys52:

This is the first time that I have come across "private baptism".  I will read the link now; thank you for suggesting it.  While I had wondered if the baptism was for an ill child, I didn't stop to think that the child would not have been baptised twice (unless there was some reason that the first one wasn't recognised).

Thank you very much for your guidance.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again for providing the link.  I always find it interesting to read about the past.   :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure Lisa,

I've also just noticed a few other threads about private baptism here on rootschat (which pretty much say the same thing) and also just discovered the rootschat lexicon - which I admit to not having ever looked at before, but looks like it deserves more investigation  ;D).
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/reflib-lexicon.php?letter=P

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 03:56 GMT (UK) »
I will have a look; thank you.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 04:06 GMT (UK) »
I had also never seen the lexicon - thank you so much for pointing it out!  Being Canadian with English and Irish ancestors, I have a feeling that I will be looking through all of the items, to get even more acquainted with words and terms that might pertain to them (I hope that makes sense).  Thank you!   :) :)

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I found a record for an ancestor's sibling stating that she was baptised 24 March 1795 (Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex) and the register's note states: "privately baptised March the 9th".  She was born 18 Feb 1795.  (I have not yet found her death, nor a marriage for her.)

What might be typical reasons for a private baptism, please (and, having a second baptism)?  Thank you in advance for any ideas.  Lisa

I think it’s louisa grange? Burial 6th July 1810, smallpox. Her brother, Peter, was buried 1804.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you're correct.  Thank you so much for looking and for finding her death.  I do know about Peter (but, thank you) and another sibling, Mary, who along with her fiance died (apparently of typhus fever) days prior to their wedding date (or shorter after the intended date).

May I ask, please, where you found the burial information?  If you would rather not share, I understand.

PS  I just tried an internet search for smallpox, to see how long the illness lasts.  Such sad photographs.   :'(

Thank you again for helping.