Author Topic: Seeking parents of Tasmanian convict  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking parents of Tasmanian convict
« on: Wednesday 20 December 17 05:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a Daniel Wilkins marrying Ann Richards on 29 Nov 1855 Trinity Church Launceston.

Daniel was a convict transported on the "John Renwick" arriving Hobart 10/11 April 1843. He was 16 years old so born about 1827.

I think I have found all of his convict records via online sources but have not found any clues as to his parentage.

He was tried at the Leicestershire Assizes and may have come from around Castle Donington as that is where he committed his offence (stealing).

As there are no parents named on marriage or death certificates at this time, how do I progress?

Daniel died 7 Nov 1877 Launceston.

I have no clue where to look for more about Ann Richards either - common name which makes it more difficult.

I was hoping to find Daniel on the 1841 English census but can't see an obvious Daniel in Leicestershire - of course he could have come from further away.

If anyone can give me any pointers that would be wonderful - thank you.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking parents of Tasmanian convict
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen that there's another Daniel Wilkins marrying in 1854 in Hobart?

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-13p171j2k

I'm wondering if this is a better fit as his convict record says cannot read or write - which matches with the "his x mark" for this marriage, and also he was stationed at one time at Peppermint Bay, which fits with the rank of "sawyer".

:)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Among the documents you can see on the Tas website is CON40

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON14-1-21,277,64,L,80

It runs across two pages and you might have missed the details on the right hand page for your Daniel WILKINS  #9227
  M(other) Sarah  1 S(ister) Sarah     NP (that means native place)
Native place is Castle Donnington Leicestershire.

Stealing cow hair (2 pounds)  J Eaton of Castle Donnington  - 1 week for- food - Wm Smith for both offences on board.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Matthew. No, I hadn't seen the other marriage. I will investigate further. The Daniel Wilkins, who I thought was my convict, I thought became a baker in Launceston. (There are some ads on Trove for his pies). On his son's birth or marriage (don't have documents to hand to check) his father Daniel Wilkins is a baker. I know I have the right son, hence the baker must be mine. Now the question is, is he convict Daniel or the other Daniel?

Wivenhoe, thank you too. I will check the document you refer to, which I am unsure if I have seen. (It has been a while since I worked on this family). I do have his mother as Sarah, but I could not recall where I found that, so thank you. I did not have his sister Sarah. Would I be correct in assuming that because a mother and sister are mentioned, but no father, Daniel may have been illegitimate or his father was dead?

Added: sorry Matthew, I just checked your link to that marriage, but as I mentioned to Wivenhoe, Daniel's son's marriage (or birth) says his father is a baker, so I think the Sawyer is not my Daniel. How can I determine whether it is baker Daniel or sawyer Daniel who is the convict? It is feasible that Daniel learned to read and write after transportation?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »

Can you clarify please, and identify the person you are researching.

You are researching the origins of this man -

"...On his son's birth or marriage (don't have documents to hand to check) his father Daniel Wilkins is a baker."

Who is this person....son of Daniel WILKINS, baker....

And your only interest in Daniel WILKINS, arrived "John Renwick" , is your belief that he is the same Daniel WILKINS, baker, Launceston, father of the man whose birth and marriage certificates you have, and which now seems very unlikely?

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Peppermint Bay was an area for timber and this convict worked for a Norris who was probably the shipwright mentioned here
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8769276

Browns River is also mentioned in the convict record, which was a probation station that had sawpits (as well as other functions)

M :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 11:26 GMT (UK) »
A William Smith (16) and William Wilkins (15) were reported in the Leicester Mercury, 5 March 1842 for stealing 2lbs of horsehair at Castle Donington.. FindMyPast has several entries for this offence

A William Smith (12) and a William Wilkins (11) appeared in the Leicester Chronicle, 8 Aug 1840, accused of theft at Castle Donington and sentenced to be imprisoned 1 week and whipped. FindMyPast has an entry for this offence

Daniel, as a given name, first appears in the 1842 prison register, with William recorded as an alias.

There is an 1841 Census record for a William Wilkins, age 13, at Spittall, Castle Donington, mother's name Sarah

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies.

Interesting findings hanes teulu. I did know that William Smith was his partner in crime but had no idea about the William Wilkins alias. I sort of hope he is 'mine'.  :)

However, I am willing to accept that I have the wrong Daniel Wilkins, and that "my" Daniel was not a convict. :)

A little more background (apologies for not providing it sooner):

Herbert Frederick Wilkins b 4 Mar 1861 Launceston (father Daniel Wilkins, a Baker)
died 1945 Brisbane. Qld death index names his parents as Daniel Wilkins and Ann Richards.

If my Daniel is not convict Daniel, where did my Daniel Wilkins come from?

Added: Herbert Frederick Wilkins married Elizabeth Hattie/Hatfield Al(l)bon.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I was reading it along the lines that William Wilkins was transported as Daniel Wilkins. Co-incidence that William and Daniel had a mother named Sarah?
I was going to check for the 1841 Census William Wilkins possibly appearing on the '51 Census - but was distracted by a trip to the allotment to lift veg.

Will check the '51 Census now.
regards