Author Topic: Reggie Buckingham born 1906  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Reggie Buckingham born 1906
« on: Wednesday 20 December 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Having no experience of Canadian records, I wonder if anyone can help with some research I'm doing for a friend? I am trying to trace Reggie Buckinham, born Knowstone, Devon 1906, the illegitimate son of Mabel Buckingham. All I have is the 1911 Census when he was living with his grandparents; a possible emmigration to Canada in 1927 (under the name Reginald, not the Reggie he was registered and baptised with) and the recollections of a now-deceased cousin who says he was in the Calgary Highlanders at some stage. He signed this cousin's autograph book in 1941 (in England) when he was in the RCAMC. Any advice or directions would be very welcome,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie Buckingham born 1906
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Reginald Buckingham born 1907 Wales ( S Molton) - arrived on the Montnairn 10 April 1927 - going to an enployer Mr C E Hawkins Griffin Creek Pease River Alta. Grandmother - Mrs M A Buckingham, Spring Cottage Addington Wiveliscombe.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Reginald Buckingham showing on Canada Voters List but nothing to positively identify him. However, if he stayed in Alberta. There was a Reginald Buckingham who was a farmer in (Sundre) Red Deer - in 1957/1958/1963 - also Mrs Reg Buckingham.  ???

There is a 1953 entry where Reg Buckingham is a lumberyard checker - also Mrs Reg Buckingham - (Sundre) Red Deer Alberta.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Will post this possibility  - just in case we can find more info - Reginald Buckingham - married Gladys L. M. Pearce in 1930 - Edmonton, Alberta.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Also a death in Edmonton Alberta for Reginald Buckingham - 18 June 1964 - Registration Number:   005-229

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I found a note in the Lethbridge Herald - November 23, 1944..  under the heading Alta Army Casualties (Alta being short for Alberta), Wounded:

BUCKINGHAM Reginald, Pte.  Mrs Gladys Buckingham (wife), Olds.   

So, Reginald married to Gladys was in the Canadian armed forces in WW2

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
For anyone looking... there is a George Reginald Buckingham mentioned in a lot of newspaper articles... he went by the name Reg.  I read his obituary in the Shellbrook Chronicle (1986).  He died in Medicine Hat.  I think the family lived in Shellbrook before moving to Medicine Hat.  This Reg's father was Frank Buckingham (died 1944).  This Reg's wife was named Bertha.   This is most likely not your Reg, but he shows up a lot in searches.  Sounds like their business was operating a Shell Service station.

Just so we can keep the two families separate :)

RK

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your extra-prompt replies, Sandra and RunKitty. I think the individual you first mention is the most promising at present. Thanks too for the warning about George Reginald Buckingham, RK; as you say it would be good to keep an eye on him to make sure there are no mistakes.

The Reginald B I found emmigrating in 1927 is certainly the one you first mention, Sandra. He left on the Montnairn on April 1st, so it is interesting that he was heading to work in Alberta. He was certainly of farming stock and gave that as his occupation on the manifest. I think it's the chap I'm after as he gave his last British address as Chipstead, Wiveliscombe, and although in Somerset it's not too far from Knowstone in Devon, and ties in the fact that his grandmother lived there too. I have her as Mary Buckingham, but she could well have been Mary Ann. I can't find a record of any other Buckingham family in the area pre 1911.

Obviously his marriage certificate might be interesting - can anyone tell me what information a Canadian certificate of 1930 will give? And how does one get hold on it?

The link to the War casualties looks a possibility too - is there a source of Canadian war records that might help pin down if he was in RCAMC, or even the Calgary Highlanders earlier?

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Gladys Maude Lillian Pearce Buckingham passed away 27 January 1968 - Olds, Mountain View, Alberta, Canada

Daughter Phyllis Mabel nee Buckingham Brooks born 6 August 1933 -  Peace River, Northern Sunrise, Alberta. Passed away 21 July 2000 Calgary Alberta.

Mrs. Gladys Lillian Buckingham of Sundre passed away suddenly on January 27, 1968 at Olds. She was 56 years of age.

Born in Engand, Mrs. Buckingham came to Canada in 1924 and to the Sundre district 21 years ago. She was a member of the Legion Auxilliary at Sundre. Her husband Regianld, predeceased her in 1964.

Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Phyllis Brooks (now deceased) of Airdre and two sons, R of Cranbrook, B.C. and R of Sudbury, Ontario. Also eight grandchildren.

Funeral services were held on Wednesday, January 31, 1968 at 2 p.m. from Mountain View Funeral Chapel, Olds, with Rev. P. Yip officiating.

Pallbearers were Chris Marfleet, Rod Macleod, Alec Bateman, Fred Mitchell, Art Thompson, and Harry Chemelli.

Cremation followed.

Mountain View Funeral Chapel of Olds was in charge of arrangements.

Will have a look to see if there is anything to find on the sons and then can send the names via pm.

Sandra