Author Topic: Lost Double from Hawstead  (Read 1162 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Double from Hawstead
« on: Wednesday 20 December 17 23:46 GMT (UK) »
 I have had this search on the 'other countries' page for over 18 months and have had no reply.
Thomas Double and his wife Mary Nee Grimwade(wood) were last known to be in Kingston, Jamaica.
My 5x Gt Uncle and Aunt appear to have lived in Kingston, Jamaica some time around 1782 as this was the date of the last correspondence the family had received before 1790, when Mary's brother took out an appeal in the newspaper asking for her to contact about her inheritance.
Mary was born in Bramford, Suffolk, England in abt 1748.
Thomas was born in Hawsted, Suffolk 1744.
They married in Norton, Suffolk 4 May 1768.
Why would they have gone to Jamaica? Did they die in Jamaica or move somewhere else? Any info about their movements or reason for being in Jamaica would be most helpful.
I am wondering if they were managing some kind of estate, but for whom? Hawstead was mainly owned by the Cullum family. Does anyone know if they had holdings in Jamaica at that period?
I have found that there were dreadful hurricanes in the area particularly bad were 1780 and 81, but others followed in 1784, 5 & 6. I can only think that it was one of these later ones or the following storm surge, which claimed their lives.
https://jamaica-history.weebly.com/1780s---hurricane-decade.html
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Double from Hawstead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
There are several trees online for this family, but I could not find any trace of why they were living in Jamaica. The only money that seems to have been in the family was that Thomas's father inherited Wickham House in Wickhambrook at the tender age of 11 years under guardianship. I guess if Thomas had died before then, Mary would have been due an inheritance. As this all came from trees online it is probably not very reliable.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hawstead was mainly owned by the Cullum family. Does anyone know if they had holdings in Jamaica at that period?

familysearch has several baptisms in Westmoreland, Jamaica in the 1760s-70s, some with parents named as John and Cicely COLLUM, but I don't know what the status of the family was or where they originated.  It might be a clue.

Philip

ADDED - I don't know if you have seen this website - it could be worth looking at:
https://www.geni.com/projects/Jamaican-Planters-Plantations-Portal/1776
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for help and suggestions. From what I can gather it was a Grimwade inheritance. I gather from my research that they farmed somewhere in Norton in the late 1700s, but I have been unable to find which farm it may have been. Possibly towards Norton Little Green area would be my best guess.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire