Author Topic: Early 19th Century Records  (Read 559 times)

Offline Fraser178

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great Grandad Francis Fraser
    • View Profile
Early 19th Century Records
« on: Thursday 21 December 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I recently found an absolute gem in the criminal petitions records. I found a handwritten letter by my x6 great grandfather (Thomas Hill) attempting to persuade the authorities to not transport his son to Australia for stealing 9 ducks. In this letter he talks of the character of how his family have served King George III and country through their military service. I was hoping you guys could help me find out a little bit more with the information I've got. My ancestor talks about the services of his brothers as follows;
  • George Hill (b.1778 in Wolverhampton), Thomas says that he served eight years in the 18th Light dragoons and died in the west indies.
  • Timothy Hill (b.1780 in Wolverhampton), served 22 years in the 16th light dragoons.
  • John Hill (b.1785 in Wolverhampton), Thomas says he was a Midshipman in the Navy who served aboard the 'Severn Frigate' then HMS Audacious and finally the Blenheim where he died from wounds received cutting out a french vessel in Martinique.

Timothy is the only one I have any information about as I found his service record online and it states how he served at Waterloo and that he was discharged due to being paralysed on one side of his body. I know next to nothing on George or John aside from what was stated in the letter.

If you guys can help me to find out any other information on their service in the military then I'd be very happy!

Regards,
Joel
Research Intrests.
Manchester:Fraser, Jennings, Reid, Worsley
Wolverhampton:Hill, Griffiths, Harper, Whitehouse, Tarbuck, Asprey
Willenhall:Aston
Wales:Griffiths,Jennings
Warwickshire: Harper
Ireland County Dublin: Reid

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early 19th Century Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
The Who Do You Think You Are magazine for Nov 2017 had a several pages article on tracing people who had been in the forces through the centuries. All sorts of avenues to look into.
Perhaps you could get hold of a copy - my local library has them.
Or you could make a plea to see somebody on here gets it on subscription.
 :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs