Author Topic: Eliza Cook pauper in Sheffield  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Cook pauper in Sheffield
« on: Friday 22 December 17 10:08 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census shows Eliza Cook, widowed, age 29, a servant, b Dunbar Haddington, a pauper in Sheffield Union Workhouse, Moorfields, Sheffield, Yorkshire, with her son William Cook age 2m b Sheffield.

William Cook was born 22 Jan 1851 at 1 Court Spring Street Sheffield, mother Eliza Cook, no father recorded. Which suggests the child was illegitimate, father unknown. I cannot find any Cooks in Dunbar, which suggests the contrary.

If she were married, she might have been Elizabeth Ogilvie bpt 24 Apr 1821 to John Ogilvie & Elizabeth Niel [sic] or Elizabeth Cribbes bpt 28 Jul 1822 to George Cribbes & Jean Purves. 

1. Cannot find anything else about this mother and son.
2. Does anyone know about the Cribbes family?
3. Or indeed any Cook families in Dunbar in the 1820s?
4. John Ogilvie blacksmith in Haddington & Elizabeth Neill have an MI there, showing their connections with Dunbar. Can anyone expand upon their family?

My gtgdmother Hannah Preston is recorded as being born in 1853 in Glasgow to Elizabeth Ogilvie, her fourth child. To cut a long story short, this birth record implies there were two children born sometime between 1844 and 1851 of which there is absolutely no record. Having found this 1851 census record, I'm looking at the possibility my Elizabeth Ogilvie abandoned her family, had two children (one of whom was this William Cook), then when destitute and in the poorhouse returned to her erstwhile husband, to have this fourth child (born after he married someone else!). If that's far-fetched, the alternatives are just as bad if not worse.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Cook pauper in Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post with replies on Yorkshire board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784459.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 17 10:08 GMT (UK) »
The Sheffield situation has drawn a blank, but I'd still like to find out more about -
1. Elizabeth Cribbes b 1822 in Dunbar to George Cribbes & Jean Purves
2. Any Cook families in Dunbar in the 1820s.
3. The family of John Ogilvie (blacksmith in Haddington) & Elizabeth Neill

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 December 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has a couple more children born to John Ogilvie and Elizabeth Neil:
James b. 28th August 1824
Janet b.  3rd May 1829

From FamilySearch, add
Helen, b. 17th May 1819
David  b. 21st August 1834

John and Elizabeth married in Dunbar Parish church on 26th May 1818.

John Ogilvie was born in Dunbar 3rd August 1792, parents James and Elizabeth (née Fortune).

Possible baptism of Elizabeth Neil in Tranent on 21st November 1790, parents James and Betty (née Archlbald).  If this is the right family, FS also has other children born to the couple.

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, bevj. The FreeREG records are most useful.

They had three other children whose baptisms don't appear anywhere -
- Mary who died 21 Nov 1878 age 40 (per MI, except that I cannot find any such record)
- Margaret who married James Brownhill and died 18 Jul 1912 in Stranraer age 73
- John who married Grace Scott and died 12 Feb 1888 in Liverpool age 47: he raised the MI to the family in Haddington.

While I agree that John Ogilvie was almost certainly the son of James Ogilivie & Elizabeth Fortune, I don't believe that his wife Elizabeth Neil was born in 1790 in Tranent. Not only would she be having children when over 50, the 1841 census shows she wasn't born in East Lothian. However I don't have any alternative candidates - unless she married extremely young, being born 13 Oct 1801 St Cuthberts dau of James Neil & Helen Stewart (noting also that John Ogilvie's eldest dau was named Helen).

I think I've now got this family pinned down sufficiently to accept that their dau Elizabeth Ogilvie survived, so isn't one of their three infant children whose deaths are memorialised on the Haddington MI.

Here's hoping for news on the Cribbes and Cooks!