Author Topic: Hugh Brown reputed father (Kilmarnock)  (Read 3757 times)

Offline murdo67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Brown reputed father (Kilmarnock)
« on: Friday 22 December 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace my family back and have to a degree but have got to a point where the Robertson names seems to first appear when John Brown Robertson's (b. 1871) 'reputed' father was Hugh Brown b.1850. I am now at a loss where to go now, (all this was Kilmarnock) Anyone have info on Hugh Brown?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Brown reputed father (Kilmarnock)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Is there a RCE attached to the birth certificate it may give an address for Hugh and using that you may be able to find him in the census

Offline murdo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 December 17 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Is there a RCE attached to the birth certificate it may give an address for Hugh and using that you may be able to find him in the census

dont have a birth certiificate, he is becoming something of a mystery.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
there is a birth registered for a John Brown Robertson 1871 but in Glasgow the John Brown Robertson registered in Kilmarnock wasn't until 1885

There are 3 Hugh Browns including a 24 year old in Kilmarnock for the 1871 census

Where did you find the information regarding johns reputed father Hugh

There is also a John Robertson born 19 Mar 1871 Kilmarnock Mother Marion Robertson no father named

Offline murdo67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
there is a birth registered for a John Brown Robertson 1871 but in Glasgow the John Brown Robertson registered in Kilmarnock wasn't until 1885

There are 3 Hugh Browns including a 24 year old in Kilmarnock for the 1871 census

There is also a John Robertson born 19 Mar 1871 Kilmarnock Mother Marion Robertson no father named
Thanks, I have little info about John Brown Robertson my GGF, apart from year of birth 1871, Kilmarnock who married a Grace Hutchison. (b. 1870) I will take another look for Marion to see if there any leads. Also I have been trying to find a place called Minrihire (I think Dumfries but could be ayrshire, as on another part of the tree there are two possibles of birth from info I have one is Minrihire and the other Glencairn, just wondered if one was just a district of the other.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us this please - it is important information for us to be able to help you. Was it on baptism - if so when & where? Was it on a marriage certificate if so when & where? Where have you go this year of birth from? If you have any certificates, do let us know the details - eg when & where, witnesses etc.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
John and Grace married in 1893 in Riccaton area of Ayrshire the only way to find out his parents would be to download this from Scotlands people This will contain his parents names including mothers maiden name as provided by John himself

I have found in the 1901 census the family who I believe to be your John and Grace with children George Agnes William Janet and John

There are a few family trees on Ancestry with your family and they state that John's mother was Janet Wilson reputed father Hugh Brown Janet later marries George Robertson

Grace's appear to be William Hutchison and Agnes Alexander

the names of John and Grace first 4 children all appear to be named in the traditional naming patteren

As for Hugh Brown they suggest he is a coalminer if you go back to the 1871 census and check the details of the 3 Hugh's see if any are coalminers

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Also I have been trying to find a place called Minrihire
To be honest Minrihire looks as though it could be a mistranscription  :-\ have you seen the original document?
Dumfries but could be ayrshire, as on another part of the tree there are two possibles of birth from info I have one is Minrihire and the other Glencairn,
What info is it you have? Is this a tree on ancestry, yours or someone else's? Might need to follow up on their sources. Wendy's leads look good, worth following up.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Nearest that I can find on Scotlands Places is Minishant, parish of Maybole:

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ayrshire-os-name-books-1855-1857/ayrshire-volume-46/99

Only other that I can think of is Minnigaff in KKD.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***