Author Topic: Marriage of Robert Dunton to Frances  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Robert Dunton to Frances
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Both per FreeReg:

Frances Grimes b.10/9/1799, bp.17/11/1799 Brancaster, dau. of Thomas Grimes and Mary Wilkinson

Nothing in Brancaster for a Robert Dunton BUT there was just one couple having children baptised in Holkham in the relevant period - a Thomas Dunton and Elizabeth Pace:

George bp.6/12/1798
Ann bp.12/6/1801, bur.2/5/1802
Thomas bp.13/5/1803
Thomas bp.5/6/1806
Mary Ann bp.2/7/1809

I first assumed the first Thomas must have died but this doesn't seem to be the case - no infant burial - you will find him on the census bc.1802.

So, as the first Thomas hadn't died I'm wondering if the second 'Thomas' bp.1806 was a mistake on the part of the vicar, and that it should actually be your Robert.  No way to prove it of course but seems a logical explanation.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Brancaster baptism for
Frances Grimes
born 10th Sptember 1799
baptised 17 Nov
daughter of Thomas and Mary Grimes,late Wilkinson
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Radcliffe and Annette7.
Don't know how I missed that on FreeReg.
And the assumption about the Duntons seems very reasonable. It would certainly explain why I couldn't find him elsewhere. I am realising that mistakes like this happen a lot!

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Another query in this continuing story.
I can see from the quoted entry from FreeReg that Frances Grimes was born to Thomas Grimes and Mary Wilkinson. However, the only likely marriage for the couple seems to be Thomas Grymes and MARGARET Wilkerson, 17/11/1788, Burnham Overy, Norfolk, which is close to Brancaster and Holkham. I am assuming the Margaret/Mary could be another transcription error, or have I missed yet another marriage here??
Assuming this Wilkinson is the right person, there is a Margaret Wilkinson born to Samuel and Cecelie, bpt. 8/1/1767 Bedale, Norfolk. Bedale is in Yorkshire not Norfolk,, and on both Ancestry and Family Search, the transcripts state bpt. Bedale Norfolk, residence Bedale York.!! Anyone come across this duplication before or any explanation? Is it possible that Bedale Norfolk is short for Burnham Deepdale, which would again be the right area in Norfolk. But why the reference to Bedale York as residence?
As a footnote, there is another Margaret Grimes born to Samuel and Cecelie in 1761 but dies the same year. Again the bpt and burial records are Bedale Norfolk.
Thanks in advance for any expertise in unraveling this.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 March 18 01:07 GMT (UK) »
I would say that possibly on the original page for Frances' baptism, mother Margaret has been written as 'Marg.' and taken as 'Mary' when transcribed.  The fact that it's the same surname as 2 earlier children born to Thomas and Margaret (1794 and 1797) I would say Margaret was indeed her mother.

As to the entry for Bedale, Norfolk - this is clearly an error on the part of familysearch as the parents had other children baptised in Bedale, Yorkshire.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 March 18 08:24 GMT (UK) »
the baptism  gave you was not from free reg but from the Bishops transcripts the writing isn't the best
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Brutushedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 March 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Annette and Radcliff. Always useful to get your input.