Author Topic: RAF morecambe hospital records ??  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RAF morecambe hospital records ??
« on: Friday 22 December 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
hi guys

has any one ever been able to find WW2 hospital records from RAF hospital morecambe in lancasershire  (  now called midland hotel)

regards katie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: RAF morecambe hospital records ??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 17 07:26 GMT (UK) »
hi guys

has any one ever been able to find WW2 hospital records from RAF hospital morecambe in lancasershire  now called midland hotel)

regards katie

It is the Midland hotel but was used as a hospital during the war
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Hotel,_Morecambe

What sort of information are you after.  If it is medical records it is unlikely that they would be available, most medical records are subject to the 100 year ruling.

If it is a patients records and they were in the RAF during the war their service records will still be with the MOD, they would probably give some information on hospitalisation.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 December 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katie

Looks like some RAF Hospitals are also catalogued by a Hospital Number.

Even if you find the official history of the hospital, it is possibly unlikely patients will be named, but I have not seen any of these RAF Hospital histories.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/2?_ep=Hospital&_cr=AIR&_dss=range&_sd=1939&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_st=adv

If you know where he or she was stationed (AIR 28 - RAF Stations Operations Record Book) and the Unit (AIR 27 - RAF Squadrons ORB, or AIR 29 - RAF Units ORB), officially according to The King's Regulations of the Royal Air Force (K.R.) a Casualty should be recorded in the Operations Record Book (ORB), but for some strange reason and contrary to the rules of record keeping laid down in the K.R. some RAF Casualties are not named, but some Casualties and Illness victims are noted and with a reason for their hospital admission.

Most are original records (unless it is a Squadron number in AIR 27 Series / Reference you can download), but some Squadron months require up to 4 or more downloads to get the Form 540, Form 541 and the various Appendices. 

Some casualties are reported through Station Headquarters, so you will need to know the RAF Station from which the casualty or illness victim was admitted from.

As Rosie says, the Unit may be on their Service Record.

They are releasing some Death Casualties in AIR 81. But some file numbers have not been released (passed by).
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=AIR%2081&_dss=range&_sd=1939&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_st=adv

Some RAF Registers in AIR 82
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=AIR%2082&_dss=range&_sd=1939&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_st=adv

The Navy also had its own system of Baptism Registers in their ADM series.

To see original records you will definitely need to prove your identity and also the address/es you live at (produce your current Passport or Photo Driving Licence and printed current address with your name and address on, to get a "READERS TICKET". Some Archives also require proof of your temporary Hotel /lodging addresses too, besides your personal home address (especially Overseas visitors).

See The National Archives, Kew, 'Visit Us', but closed during Bank and Holiday periods and Sunday and Mondays.

The MoD also has its own Archive, managed by TNT Archives (one at Swadlincote).

ORB Example
Here is an example of one we found in Australian records, dying here in Leeds, England, UK
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764128.msg6161647#msg6161647

CWGC had her listed and locals assumed she might be a war casualty, but ... There had been an oubreak of diphtheria on the Station and Phyllis Austin 467 Squadron (RAAF) died after contracting it, dying in Leeds Isolation Hospital.

Mark

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
hello  ;D

thanks for that it was helpful but i dont know what to do with that info, my issue is i know where he was before he was at 6th canadian casualty clearing station then at field dressing station then tansfered to morecambe RAF hospital. i dont know a hospital number also dont know what he was there for

the last place he was before getting to the casualty clearing station was at a base signal unit in chigwell in august in the uk then morecambe in december ( the casualty clearing station was apparently locted in belgium or the netherlands

help !?!?:( what operations book do i need can you tell me what to do now

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
hello  ;D

thanks for that it was helpful but i dont know what to do with that info, my issue is i know where he was before he was at 6th canadian casualty clearing station then at field dressing station then tansfered to morecambe RAF hospital. i dont know a hospital number also dont know what he was there for

the last place he was before getting to the casualty clearing station was at a base signal unit in chigwell in august in the uk then morecambe in december ( the casualty clearing station was apparently locted in belgium or the netherlands

help !?!?:( what operations book do i need can you tell me what to do now

Hello Katie

CHIGWELL and SIGNAL
The casualty may (or may not be) mentioned in one of these AIR files ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=signal%20Chigwell&_cr=AIR&_dss=range&_sd=1939&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_st=adv

CHIGWELL
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Chigwell&_cr=AIR&_dss=range&_sd=1939&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_st=adv

It is not always possible to pinpoint in which ORB a report of a Casualty may, or might not be in.

Some Casualties seem to be missing, suggesting that some ORBs (not stamped "Original" or "Duplicate") were retyped with some information missing.

According to what you say, it sounds like he was with a Signals Unit at Chigwell, then he was posted, or the Unit moved to the European theatre.

The second problem here, is that he has ended up in a Canadian Casualty Clearing Station.

Canadians are quite good at holding their information and more open about supplying it to their own Nationals (than here in the UK), but sometimes to get information out of Canada it may be necessary to ask a Canadian researcher to check for you, to see if a record might be held or not.

I couldn't be supplied information direct from the Canadian military, because I had a UK address.

I can't give you any guarantee. You can search for years sometimes in UK archives, or drop on a record in an hour.

Of course you could write to the MoD (RAF), it used to be the 6th Floor, Ministry of Defence Building, Whitehall, London, with your relative's full name, how you are related, Service Number, Units with dates, places, the Casualty Clearing Station and hospital (actually recorded in the Service Record) and ask them how and where the injury occurred, movement to hospital and time spent in hospital etc. They might be able to give you enough information to satisfy your curiosity.

You could write to your M.P., and ask him/her to write to the Minister of Defence for some photocopy information.

Mark