Author Topic: Bare Knuckle Fighters  (Read 475 times)

Offline hardsocks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bare Knuckle Fighters
« on: Friday 22 December 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anthing about a Bare Knuckle Fighter called Albert Wedge in the 1800s

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bare Knuckle Fighters
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I know nothing, I should think those fights would be advertised on local posters and/or held at the back of a pub somewhere.  "Wedge" is an unfortunate surname, as most of the results have nothing to do with the associate word of pugilist, or boxing or bare knuckle fighter.

I see Sheffield University has an archive of fairground boxing shows, maybe they have something.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/nfca/researchandarticles/boxingbooth

I came across an 1863 article in "Bells Life in London and Sporting Chronicle [Town Edition]"
 of a Mr Wedge in Booth 4 taking bets on long distance runners and wondered if there was a connection with your chap.

"Mr W. Vickeu, White Hart, Worcester- street, Wolverhampton, has taken the booth No. 8, nearest Grand Stand, and will give 3 to be run for on Thursday, Aug 13, on the course, in a handicap foot race; distance eight score. Entrance Is, to be made at the booth, or at Mr Wedge's, at No. 4 booth.

The article is on this page - scroll down to see the reference to Mr Wedge.
http://www.lastchancetoread.com/docs/1863-08-09-bells-life-in-london.aspx
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy
MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell
Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar
Ross, Urray:Mackenzie
Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell
Perthshire: Brown Ferguson
Wales: McCarthy, Thomas
England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells
Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.