Author Topic: Bare Knuckle Fighters  (Read 868 times)

Offline hardsocks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bare Knuckle Fighters
« on: Friday 22 December 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anthing about a Bare Knuckle Fighter called Albert Wedge in the 1800s

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bare Knuckle Fighters
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I know nothing, I should think those fights would be advertised on local posters and/or held at the back of a pub somewhere.  "Wedge" is an unfortunate surname, as most of the results have nothing to do with the associate word of pugilist, or boxing or bare knuckle fighter.

I see Sheffield University has an archive of fairground boxing shows, maybe they have something.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/nfca/researchandarticles/boxingbooth

I came across an 1863 article in "Bells Life in London and Sporting Chronicle [Town Edition]"
 of a Mr Wedge in Booth 4 taking bets on long distance runners and wondered if there was a connection with your chap.

"Mr W. Vickeu, White Hart, Worcester- street, Wolverhampton, has taken the booth No. 8, nearest Grand Stand, and will give £ 3 to be run for on Thursday, Aug 13, on the course, in a handicap foot race; distance eight score. Entrance Is, to be made at the booth, or at Mr Wedge's, at No. 4 booth.

The article is on this page - scroll down to see the reference to Mr Wedge.
http://www.lastchancetoread.com/docs/1863-08-09-bells-life-in-london.aspx
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke