Author Topic: George Dunbar Birth about 1840 Ontario, Canada  (Read 3621 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Dunbar Birth about 1840 Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 December 17 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Looks like that Alexander in the Southampton Cemetery... died in 1896.  Tombstone says he was from Morayshire Scotland. 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/175858170/alexander-dunbar#view-photo=151456800

If this is your Alexander --- he didn't go to the USA (you weren't sure if any of the other siblings may have gone south)

RK

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 December 17 03:50 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the Alexander in Huron County and the children are shown as born in Scotland up to a child born about 1871.  Given names are similar to others in family so wondered if this was our Alexander.

The carpenter and Huron county fit.  However, there could be an error on Census.  Based on the grave information it would seem the birth location was incorrect .  We have Scottish records having his birth as  25 APRIL 1830  Keith, Banffshire, Scotland.  A death record might show parents name but I have not found that as yet.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 December 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »

Have you located an obituary for Isabella which might give more info on siblings.   ???

Sandra

Sorry I didn't see an answer to this question ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I have the death record for Isabella but nothing regarding siblings.

She passed in Wroxeter, Ontario as the result of an accident.   It lists her parents and notes she was spouse of George Barnard and George Barnard is informant. 

We don't find any other sibling Dunbars in the Wroxeter Cemetery.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »

It might be worth trying nearest public library to see if there was an obituary.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
After my previous reply I had a look at the map of Scotland and Keith seems to fall in Morayshire.  Documents we have found listed Birth as Keith, Banffshire and we know parents were in Keith as well. 

Looks like the two places are close.  Can't find anything to saw boundaries changed but will continue to dig.  Also possible I am misinterpreting something  :)

Now looking for a marriage to an Elspet or a death record for Alexander around Southampton.

I know someone near Wroxeter who may be able to look at some local newspaper archives and if no joy there, a road trip to Southampton.  Only about 3 hours away

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Stumbled across a death record linked to a tree associated with Elsbet Shand.   Alexander's death record does not list parents.  The online tree does not list parents for Alexander and attached census documents do not seem to fit what we have found so far.  However, will reach out to tree owner and see what they can add

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, not sure about the anc tree  :-\ they seem to show Alexander in Scotland in 1851 - that couldn't be your Alexander though.

Sandra

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George Dunbar brother Alexander
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I have found some city directories in 1887 and 1888 with an Alexander Dunbar of about the right age with occupation "moulder".  Wondering if this occupation refers to someone who would produce wooden mouldings as used in building or someone who moulds metals.  He is living in Hamilton, Ontario which is not too far from Brantford where he was known to have lived.  Hamilton is known for steel and iron but I don't believe the industry was really established until after 1900