Author Topic: William Ritchie flour miller born 1822 Edinburgh  (Read 1382 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Ritchie flour miller born 1822 Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 December 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
can you buy just 6 credits to look up a birth ?

No - the minimum is 30

See my edit above re: 1886 death
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 December 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I particularly wanted his death as I was hoping that it would have the date his marriage on it
A Scottish death certificate does not say anything about the person's date of marriage. It does tell you the names of the deceased's parents, including the mother's maiden surname.

I see that in that extract from the 1861 there is a Markes, aged 15, so if this is accurate he was born in 1845 or 1846. The Irish civil records record Protestant marriages from 1845, but not Roman Catholic ones until later. So unless Markes was born less than 15 months after his parents' marriage, and his parents were Protestant, the marriage is unlikely to be in the civil records. See      https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 December 17 02:10 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you  Forfarian,
The Scottish death certificate I  had the wife/ husband on it I thought one has a date ? 

The 1881 census had 4 the children born in Glasgow, I only have a transcript so I cant check it, but others had children born Ireland.
Thank you for the link for Ireland I had searched for the Marriage & birth bap, with no luck also did a search for Harriet parents Daniel & Harriet no luck there .

Thank you all for your help. :)

Ann

Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 December 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  Forfarian,
The Scottish death certificate I  had the wife/ husband on it I thought one has a date ? 
The date of parents' marriage is on a Scottish birth certificate but not on anyone's death

You should always look at the original just in case there is information missing from  the transcription. For example the LDS CD-ROM version misses out the names of towns and villages such as Airdrie, Coatbridge, Motherwell and Wishaw which are shown on the headers of the originals.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ann E

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 December 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  Forfarian,
I do try to always look at the original when I can.

Have a Happy Christmas. :)

Ann  E
Lacey, IOW, Lacey, Shearstone  SOM, Higgins, Tagg, Sammons, Jackson, Reeves Cowley, Wale OXFORD. Robert Collinson