Author Topic: Lost at sea  (Read 2657 times)

Offline russellte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost at sea
« on: Friday 22 December 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
My 5th g grandfather Joseph Learmouth and his brother Peter  of Earsdon, by North Shields, Northumberland both were lost at sea on April 1, 1743.  I have found a number of people in my tree, both in the UK and USA who died in coal mines.  But this is new to me really piqued my interest.  Any help getting more information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks and happy holidays.  Tom

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Lost at sea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 December 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
My immediate thought is a coastal vessel (possibly a collier transporting coal from the Tyne down south).  However, unless your ancestor was a master mariner rather than an ordinary crew member there may be no records surviving.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 December 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
How did you come by the information?

The first two thoughts I have are newspaper articles (if any survive that far back) and Lloyd's Register of Shipping if you can find out the name of the ship but I don't know how far back they go, probably not far enough.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 December 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
The oldest surviving copy of Lloyd's Register was published in 1764. Before 1848 North Shields vessels were registered in Newcastle. Tyne and Wear Archives hold such records that are available. Reference EX/Nc. You really need the name of the ship on which they sailed at the time of their demise.

I think Philips observation is that she may have been a collier is probably correct but do not discount
other types of vessel. North Shields had a sizable fishing fleet around this time.

Poster Westow is knowledgeable on shipping from the North East ports. It may be worthwhile PMing.

Could you tell us where the information you have came from.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline russellte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.  I'll post what I discover.

Offline russellte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 December 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »
The sources of the "lost at sea" information are from several family trees posted on Ancestry.com.  I PMed each of the tree owners asking where the information came from, but have received no replies so far.  None of the trees that I have reviewed had any "hard" sources of information.  I suppose the ultimate source could be from a Bible or family lore.  I'm still looking.  Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas.  Tom Russell

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 December 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
The sources of the "lost at sea" information are from several family trees posted on Ancestry.com.  I PMed each of the tree owners asking where the information came from, but have received no replies so far.  None of the trees that I have reviewed had any "hard" sources of information.

Then it's quite possible those trees copied the info from each other, so there may only be one 'source' ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline russellte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 December 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I know.  The trick is finding the "original" source.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Erm ... russellte .... I've looked at the Ancestry trees for your man. From my reading they have him not "lost at sea" = Drowned, but dying at a place called Sea in Somerset, which I think may be Burnham-on-Sea.

Cheers,
Westoe