Author Topic: Steel Family  (Read 1393 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 December 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
A small obit to William STEEL in 1931 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article211300226

Tbe death took place in Sydney on Sunday of Mr. William Steel, the. father of Mr. M. H. Steel, manager of Weeden's Store, Young. The late Mr. Steel was 83 years of age.

Ros

adding :
 a small obit to his wife http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article176246876

The death took place at her home in Mosman early in May of Mrs.
Steele, relict of the late Mr. W. Steele, who about 40 years ago conducted the
general store at Yerong Creek. The late Mrs. Steel would have reached
her 92nd birthday on 26th May.

Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 December 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Some snippets snippet about M.H.STEEL joining the store and his background  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article143571763 and leaving Young http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article139104116

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 December 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I am most grateful to all three of you who from your hard work have managed to answer all of my questions. EXCELLENT JOB.

I was surprised to see from the death and burial records that none of the Steel daughters got married. Did his son marry-if yes to who and when? I don't need any information about his wife apart from her name and I don't need any information about their children (if any).

I was also surprised from the passenger record of 1907 that the ship went from London to Freemantle. I know Freemantle is in western Australia on the coast because I was in Freemantle one day when I went to Australia in 2010 to visit my aunt in Victoria Park (near Perth). To get there I had to fly from Canada to Sydney and then fly Sydney to Perth. The Steel family ended up in Sydney on the east coast. Any idea how they would have travelled from Freemantle to Sydney (train? fly? etc)in 1907 . I wonder why they did not take a ship from London to Sydney ?

Apart from this brief inquiry you have done a complete job......Thank you all very much

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 December 17 12:32 GMT (UK) »
It is Fremantle not Freemantle.  The family passed through the port of Fremantle.  One would assume the journey was via the Suez Canal and Fremantle would have been the first port of call.  It was mandatory to record all passengers passing through ports in Australia.

Mr Wm STEEL, gent, 52 years; Mrs STEEL, lady, 49 years; Miss Ida L STEEL, lady, 19 years; Miss Dorothy I STEEL, lady, 16 years; Mr Mangus H STEEL, gent, 21 years and Miss Lorna Muriel STEEL, lady, 13 years departed London on 27 May 1907 on the OMRAH, ticketed to Sydney NSW.  They were cabin passengers.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 December 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you cando for clarifying that travel information.

I have one more loose end to clear up. I am missing the travel record for the
Steel family from Australia to England sometime after the birth of their daughter Lorna in 1889 NSW and the 1899 directory record for William Steel in Tunbridge Wells, Kent in 1899. Can anyone find it please?